Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 11, 2013, 8:20 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticdesigns View Post

@William -- Nice series. Nice breadth in subject and scale. #3 seems really interesting. I'd be interested to see that in B&W. 'don't really know why. I guess I see lots of interesting shapes, lines, contrast and form. I'm just curious to see if it works as a B&W.

Just my 2 cents.
Here you go...

D7k with old/new glass and a few other things...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 11:55 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko170 View Post
Marcelo, Wizzard -

Thanks for sharing your work; I wish I had more time to just go out and shoot, and a couple better lenses.

I did recently cover a gymnastics meet, D600 w/85 1.8D; vault shots at ISO4000 and 2.2fstop; beam shots at 3200ISO at 2.2, manual exposure. Wish I had the 1.8G for a little more sharpness but work with what I have.

Frank,

Those pictures looks great, very sharp, nice and creamy bokeh... what auto focus settings did you use?

Thank you for posting.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 12:33 PM   #33

Jeff, beautiful pictures, San Francisco is my favorite city and you captured the Golden Gate very nice, 2nd and 4th are my favorites.

William, fantastic pictures, very well framed and composition, can you tell us a little about the place? maybe a fisherman town? 1st and 3rd are my favorites.

Marcelo
Old May 11, 2013, 1:22 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Frank,

Those pictures looks great, very sharp, nice and creamy bokeh... what auto focus settings did you use?

Thank you for posting.

Marcelo
Marcelo,

For sports I'm usually using Continuous, 21 pt., though sometimes I switch to single point, depending on what sport.

I'm usually only shooting 1 frame or 2 at a time though, as the fps on the D600 isn't fast enough to 'spray and pray,' as I hear some of the higher priced Nikons and Canon users doing at + or - 11fps.
I take some pride in capturing the moment in one frame. Such as . . .
catching the ball on the bat in a game; at 5fps you will miss most times, the limit of the D600. This shot was taken with a D90 and 55-300 DX nikkor. Single frame.

Nikon D600, D90, D70, N90s, FM2, Canon S3 1S, Panasonic FZ35; Nikon 18-105 VR, 28-70 2.8 Sigma, 35-70 Nikkor, 70-200 2.8 Sigma, 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma, 85 1.8D Nikkor, 55-300 4-5.6 Nikkor, Sigma 17-50 2.8.
Franko170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 7:49 PM   #35

Hi, Marcelo...

There are some fishermen and some pleasure craft that harbour there, mostly Westport
makes it's money from the tourist trade... Farther south in Raymond, I believe, is a bigger
fishing fleet...

Here's a Google Map link where you can get a satellite view of where I was... Where it says
"Basket House" (E Dock St.) is the pier where I took most of those shots... You can zoom
in all the way then double click to go to "Street View" and look around if you like...

http://maps.google.com/?ll=46.909292...07467&t=h&z=17

Here's a few more from that day...

Old May 11, 2013, 7:50 PM   #36

Quote:
This shot was taken with a D90 and 55-300 DX nikkor. Single frame.
Nice job, Frank...!

Old May 12, 2013, 6:55 AM   #37

Quote:
Now that's capturing the moment! I love it!

I hear the mention of the term "Spray and Pray" (Not just here but other places too). It seems to often get a bad rap. I find I use that at gymnastics a lot. Is it really that bad a thing? If it is there to use, and it gets you better shots?

I use it when trying to take a group shot of sometimes 12-17 girls. I'll fire off 5-10 shots while my wife and I are scanning the girls to see who isn't facing the camera. <grin> In that case it has been insanely successful in getting the shot.

Or with the girls dashing around the floor (Bodies in motion -- BIM?) there is such a fine line between getting an image and getting a nice pose. It could be the flick of a wrist, the tilt of the head, or even the quick glance at their intended path that can make all the difference. And this is all fluidly changing in fractions of a second.

Just a thought . . .
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013, 3:28 PM   #38

Tacticdesigns - It struck me first years ago when reading a Pop Photo article with photos about a photographer covering a horse race. He had cameras stationed on posts several places around the track and shot thousands of photos remotely while the race was ongoing to get one 'special' shot. Guess it just kinda struck me wrong.

I also have never had the convenience of owning such cameras with motor drives hitting 10-12 fps; so, envy - possibly; or I think it takes less skill for a photographer trying to capture a moment in time. Probably shouldn't have mentioned it in the first place.

Here's a single shot from my old D90 at 3200ISO of a gymnast in the middle of a 'full' - a 360 twist while on a tumbling pass, from a few years ago.

Nikon D600, D90, D70, N90s, FM2, Canon S3 1S, Panasonic FZ35; Nikon 18-105 VR, 28-70 2.8 Sigma, 35-70 Nikkor, 70-200 2.8 Sigma, 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma, 85 1.8D Nikkor, 55-300 4-5.6 Nikkor, Sigma 17-50 2.8.

Last edited by Franko170; May 12, 2013 at 3:55 PM. Reason: added photo
Franko170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013, 7:33 PM   #39

Quote:
Marcelo,

For sports I'm usually using Continuous, 21 pt., though sometimes I switch to single point, depending on what sport.

I'm usually only shooting 1 frame or 2 at a time though, as the fps on the D600 isn't fast enough to 'spray and pray,' as I hear some of the higher priced Nikons and Canon users doing at + or - 11fps.
I take some pride in capturing the moment in one frame. Such as . . .
catching the ball on the bat in a game; at 5fps you will miss most times, the limit of the D600. This shot was taken with a D90 and 55-300 DX nikkor. Single frame.
Thank you for the info Frank, I never had the chance to use a 50mm or 85mm prime shooting under those light conditions and I was wondering how fast is the AF of those lenses to achieve a sharp picture.

Your picture posted is very sharp and very well done, thank you for posting.

Marcelo
Old May 12, 2013, 7:41 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard0003 View Post
Hi, Marcelo...

There are some fishermen and some pleasure craft that harbour there, mostly Westport
makes it's money from the tourist trade... Farther south in Raymond, I believe, is a bigger
fishing fleet...

Here's a Google Map link where you can get a satellite view of where I was... Where it says
"Basket House" (E Dock St.) is the pier where I took most of those shots... You can zoom
in all the way then double click to go to "Street View" and look around if you like...

http://maps.google.com/?ll=46.909292...07467&t=h&z=17
Hi William,

Nice pictures and thank you for the link, it is a big bay and looks like it is a beautiful place.

Regards.

Marcelo