Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 21, 2013, 2:07 PM   #1
Default Model advice

So, I am an animal photographer - both portraits and action. I've been using a D300s up til now, but need to buy an additional/replacement body.

I need to just think out loud about my options as this crossroad

Rented a D3s for Westminster, and it was great... but do I need to worry about the Mp since it's full frame? and obviously I'll lose some effective length on my lenses (which is an issue).

Then I rented a D7100 for last weekend's horse show and a shoot with a stallion. It stunk... I mean just stunk. Much too slow - focusing, writing to cards (no matter what class card I used)... and it had an odd focusing manner. It might be great for someone who's subjects don't move fast or could use flash, but it just does not meet my needs (and it's ISO performance was not up to what it was touted to be either).

Am I on the right track that I essentially have to opt for the D3s (the D600 and D800 have a low fps count)... and hope my D300s will last for doing the action work?

Advice is GREATLY appreciated
badams007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links