Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 17, 2013, 8:23 PM   #1

Default General Question About Nikon Cameras

Is it possible to fire the shutter if the body (D80) of the camera is flipped to manual mode while the lens (18-135) is in AF mode? I attempted to buy a camera off someone on craigslist who insisted there was nothing wrong with the lens when I tested it out. From what I can recall, the body was in AF mode, but I'm not completely certain now.
Krichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2013, 9:33 AM   #2

I cannot speak specifically for the D80. I have a D40 & D90 and everything works with either camera in manual mode and the lens set to AF. Again, I don't have that lens. I have a 18-105mm, 35mm, 18-200 mm (I know, overlap) and AF has always worked regardless of what mode I have set.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2013, 8:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphess View Post
I cannot speak specifically for the D80. I have a D40 & D90 and everything works with either camera in manual mode and the lens set to AF. Again, I don't have that lens. I have a 18-105mm, 35mm, 18-200 mm (I know, overlap) and AF has always worked regardless of what mode I have set.
Thank god I found a Nikon user who actually knows how to use his camera. It seems most nikon users can't answer the simplest of questions about their own equipment, thnx. I guess this confirms what I thought about lens. The camera simply refused to fire off a shot or autofocus.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:43 AM   #4

Because I have some physical limitations, manual focus is quite difficult and because of that I only use autofocus, I have found that sometimes my cameras will have a difficult time focusing in low light or low contrast situations. I find that I have to adjust my area of focus to include something of reasonable contrast before the lens will focus. And if the lens won't focus the shutter will not release.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krichton View Post
Thank god I found a Nikon user who actually knows how to use his camera. It seems most nikon users can't answer the simplest of questions about their own equipment, thnx. I guess this confirms what I thought about lens. The camera simply refused to fire off a shot or autofocus.
Unless you've specifically changed the camera's functioning, it won't fire the shutter in AutoFocus until it achieves focus lock.

So, if the lens won't focus, the shutter won't fire.

Good thing you checked.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 4:26 PM   #6

Yep. Check on the AF priority settings. If the camera is in release priority, it will fire regardless of focus lock. So, of course, focus priority will only let camera fire when focus lock is achieved.
R.A.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2013, 12:17 PM   #7

The camera wouldn't fire off a shot until I removed the lens or put the lens body into manual focus. The next person who attempts to buy this camera is in for a big surprise when they go to test it out. I wonder if the seller will still insist that there's nothing wrong with the lens then.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 7:02 PM   #8

I haven't had a D80, but a D40, D90 and D7000. It will fire however in AF, focus lock has to occur. Sometimes mine won't fire due to blank walls, so have to focus on floorboard and raise up for framing. Don't know the degree of your disability, but to accomplish the focus lock, hold release button halfway down after the focus lock is achieved, then swing to frame the photo. Also the AF/AE button will accomplish the same, but if a combined button may want to go into menu and assign. I have mine set for AE lock, but that is for video reasons which is a non-issue with the D80.

Manual is a non-issue as you set the aperture and shutter and has nothing to do with AF. However, if you have it set in Aperture or Shutter Priority, may have the similar non-fire issues, but that is due to one or the other being out of range.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2013, 11:07 AM   #9

Yes, I understand all those points. I was just trying to help the OP.