Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 30, 2013, 9:21 AM   #1

Default Nikon D7100 , D5300 versus Cannon 70D

So, I was close to deciding between the Nikon D7100 & Cannon EOS 70D....now the Nikon D5300 in introduced. You have me re-thinking my decision and perhaps I am leaning towards the D5300. I am looking for a Digital DSLR to upgrade from my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 so I can capture my daughter's sporting events and concerts more effectively. Would appreciate any comments & recommendations regarding all three of these cameras. I would likely purchase with a 18-140mm lens then also add a zoom up to 300mm
Thanks
Henry
Rodriquh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2013, 4:17 AM   #2

The D7100 has the most AF points of the three and the D7100 and 70D has a faster frame rate than the D5300- though with 39 AF points and 5fps the D5300 is hardly lacking...
If you shoot RAW bursts the Canon has the larger buffer... though in jpeg the Nikon D7100 is larger...
The D7100's lack of adjustable/tilt LCD may be significant..?
The D7100 has more lens options than the D5300 owing to the in body AF motor.

All three of the above are competent camera's- and depending on what type of sports you plan to shoot (indoors or out/at what distance) and what type of concerts- your choice of lens might be the more significant decision for you...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 7:47 PM   #3

I own the D7100 and have enjoyed it very much. Also the D7100 does not have the anti-aliasing filter which makes for some very sharp photos. I also have an older lens which needs the in-body focus motor and it works very smoothly. I have shot Nikon for a few decades and they have all performed well.
R.A.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2013, 4:40 AM   #4

FWIW I would say Nikon D7100.

Shooting sporting events and concerts probably pretty demanding on the camera. The D7100 might give you more options to get lenses that can let you shoot in these conditions as well as the focus adjust to squeeze a little more out.

Then again, the Canon 70D seems intriguing with its contrast focus. I'm not a video guy, but it sounds like it might do video pretty well, if you think you'd want to do video at these events.

Just tossing some things in to think about.

NOTE: I'm trying to capture the picture in my head! Not the one my camera sees!

Personal Flickr Favs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticd...7631300869284/
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote