Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 4, 2004, 10:47 PM   #1
Default any black & white setting for digital slr

do any of the cameras- D1-d100, d1x have a black and white setting at all because that kind of sucks- i love black and white and it sucks shooting in color and making it black and white. Any suggestions on cameras that have that devise
goldjake1788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2004, 4:24 AM   #2

Is there any reason why you wouldn't just shoot in colour and use image manipulation software to change to black & white? I mean, if you get the same quality with 30seconds of post-processing, why not shoot in colour incase you want a full-colour shot later?
PlatinumWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 1:13 PM   #3

There hasn't been a digital camera that shoot B/W for many years. Those that do actually shoot in color and make the conversion in camera.

However, converting to B/W via software is much better then you imagine. There are many alternatives to simply going to the menu in PS and making a conversion.

While by no means an expert, I go to the individual channels and examine all of them, picking the best channel to use for my conversion.

There are many other methods, some of which I understand to be even better than what I've described.

Ultimately even your Black and White film is seeing color, which is why you use filters with a B/W camera.

DBB is offline   Reply With Quote