Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 3, 2016, 1:03 AM   #1
Default Anybody still doing SOOC pictures?

I am feeling quite frustrated with the colors I get in SOOC JPEGs from new Nikon DSLRs. It seems I am one of the 'freaks' who do not like to spend too much time on post processing. Particularly the colors indoors with flash are the worst, muddy brownish and greyish. I have tried various white balance options and various saturation, clarity settings etc but to no avail. It seems everybody has started taking pleasure in tinkering on computers and therefore Nikon no longer spends time and effort on making good JPEGs.
I am only a hobbyist and recently bought D750. SOOC JPEG colors are horrible compared to my previous D90. I bought D750 because of its much superior AF, Speed, AF fine tuning capability and lower noise. All of this is there but the pleasure og looking at the pictures out of camera is gone. The pictures endf up in a dump for later editing in lightroom etc which never happens. More and more I am falling back on my D40/D90 for indoor flash pictures and D750 is used only for outdoors/fast focussing speed situations.
Just wanted to know if there are more like me and how they are coping with the new Nikon DSLRs for colors.
wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2016, 5:34 PM   #2

G'day mate

Not a nikon user - but -

Maybe try shooting a home-painters colour card and comparing results ... then you have a document that you can show to nikon when asking them to recalibrate the camera

Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2016, 9:17 PM   #3

Have you tried to play around with customzing the Picture Control settings on your D750 (i.e. not the pre-canned ones)?

Also you can download profiles to your camera to match previously released cameras (although I don't think they have D40 or D90 profiles) but you may try other pro-bodies to see if they are more pleasing than your current setting: http://nikonimglib.com/opc/
photos (ϕοτοσ), light
graphos (γραϕος), painting

Last edited by NHL; Sep 4, 2016 at 5:37 AM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2016, 2:38 PM   #4

I think you'll generally find the "lower end" Nikon bodies jpeg output is optimized for SOOC output- as I'm guessing that is what Nikon anticipate those users favoring... whereas the higher end bodies are generally for users who prefer the most latitude for PP...
I know my D3100 and D3300 have much more pleasant SOOC jpegs compared to my D300- though perhaps that is down to the higher DR the later sensor offers... (shouldn't be the case on a D750...)
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote