Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 19, 2016, 4:12 PM   #1

Default A D7200 problem... the "bulb" setting

Nikon owners... Does your Nikon do this:
When I was at Mt Rainier shooting stars at 5am and couldn't until evening because of cloud cover, I was lucky as had I shot the morning stars, then had I went to shoot the sunrise, (and rest of the day) I would have had a camera I couldn't use... as I didn't have my manual or internet connection to find out what to do. Here is what happened.

To shoot stars, I had to put the mode dial on manual, then turn the rear main control dial to lower the shutter speed until I reached "Bulb". Then I use the front dial to adjust the aperture I wanted. Anyways, when I was done, I turned the mode dial back to shutter speed, put the camera away and went home. So two days later when I tried shooting hummers in my yard, it wouldn't shoot??? The screen was showing "bulb" and stayed stuck there no matter what setting I tried, shutter, aperture, program etc. I shut the camera off, took batteries out... same thing.

So I went online to find the problem... assuming maybe my camera was faulty and might have to send it in to be fixed. What I found out online was if you don't take it off bulb while in manual mode, it stays stuck there even if you switch the dial over to shutter/aperture/program modes. So I did that, "viola"! The camera worked again.
So, my question for you... Does your camera do this too as it strikes me strange?

This was the shot I got and here is the website:
http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/20...ectionLake.htm

Nikon D500 w/MB-D17 Battery Grip
Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR
Nikkor AF-S 200-500mm F/5.6E ED VR
Nikon TC-14E-III 1.4x AF-S / 2 Nikon SB-800
Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod & mono-pod
Samsung S7 Edge

Last edited by jack55; Oct 19, 2016 at 6:15 PM. Reason: Corrections
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2016, 5:57 PM   #2

G'day Jack

Agreed - does not sound like a well thought out system
Neither the Pentax & the Panny work this way ... they work as you expected your Nikon to work
Sounds a bit of a P-I-A to me

Phil-
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:55 AM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Jack, I'd be interested in the on-line reference that explains this phenomenon. I have a D7100 and have used it in manual mode using "bulb" as the shutter speed. My recollection is that once you release the bulb (i.e. release the shutter button) the shutter closes and I was able to switch back to other modes. What did you do to restore functionality or is the camera inoperative at the moment?

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2016, 3:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
Jack, I'd be interested in the on-line reference that explains this phenomenon. I have a D7100 and have used it in manual mode using "bulb" as the shutter speed. My recollection is that once you release the bulb (i.e. release the shutter button) the shutter closes and I was able to switch back to other modes. What did you do to restore functionality or is the camera inoperative at the moment?

Jehan
So, you didn't take it off bulb first? The D7100 shouldn't be any different than the D7200 in that regard.

I didn't save the online reference. But if I don't take it off bulb while in manual mode, it stays stuck there even if I switch the dial over to shutter/aperture/program modes. I have to take it off bulb first, then turn the mode dial to shutter/aperture/program etc. Never used bulb before so I didn't know if this is normal or not.
Samsung S7 Edge
Old Oct 24, 2016, 4:27 PM   #5

It sorta makes sense that the shutter will remain in Bulb mode even if you switch from Manual to Shutter Priority or Program since the shutter speed will remain at what it was last set. It is not different than if you set the shutter speed at 1 second while in manual and then switch to S, it will remain at the 1 second. Perhaps the bulb mode has a universal override feature that keeps it in bulb mode even if you switch it to A?

Once you switch out of M to A, S or P, can you spin the control wheel and change out of bulb into a different shutter speed?

If not, how did you restore functionality to your camera?

Jehan
Old Oct 24, 2016, 6:12 PM   #6

Wingman; It sorta makes sense that the shutter will remain in Bulb mode even if you switch from Manual to Shutter Priority or Program since the shutter speed will remain at what it was last set. It is not different than if you set the shutter speed at 1 second while in manual and then switch to S, it will remain at the 1 second. Perhaps the bulb mode has a universal override feature that keeps it in bulb mode even if you switch it to A?

Once you switch out of M to A, S or P, can you spin the control wheel and change out of bulb into a different shutter speed?
No
If not, how did you restore functionality to your camera?
I have to take it off bulb first before taking it out of manual, then turn the mode dial to shutter/aperture/program etc
Samsung S7 Edge

Last edited by jack55; Oct 26, 2016 at 2:16 PM. Reason: addition
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:17 AM   #7

Very interesting,I never had the problem but it is good to know this is a coomon issue with Nikon cameras.

Thank you for sharing your experience Jack.

Marcelo

Last edited by MarceloLI; Oct 26, 2016 at 7:12 PM.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2016, 5:19 PM   #8

G'day Jack

fwiw ... I just had a play with the Pentax to compare notes as it were

Bulb comes in after 30secs on Manual mode

With M = Bulb, I can rotate the selector dial into P or Av or Tv or Auto modes with full operation immediately. Rotate back into Manual and it is sitting on Bulb [as it would for whatever shutter speed was last used]

Hope this helps ~ maybe a canon or sony person resding this thread can offer more comparisons
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2016, 8:51 AM   #9

Jack, I tried this routine on my D7100 and did not encounter the issue you described. In other words, I can set my mode to M and set the shutter to "bulb" and then if I change the mode to A or P, the shutter is no longer on "bulb". The only mode where it stays in "bulb" is S, which makes sense since it is Shutter Priority and will default to the existing shutter speed. I would contact Nikon to confirm if the D7200 is functioning as intended.

Jehan
Old Nov 1, 2016, 8:34 PM   #10
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
Jack, I tried this routine on my D7100 and did not encounter the issue you described. In other words, I can set my mode to M and set the shutter to "bulb" and then if I change the mode to A or P, the shutter is no longer on "bulb". The only mode where it stays in "bulb" is S, which makes sense since it is Shutter Priority and will default to the existing shutter speed. I would contact Nikon to confirm if the D7200 is functioning as intended.
Me too, both my D800 and D500 behave just like Wingman described