Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:53 PM   #1

Default Alesha Dixon @ Shell Eco Marathon

Alesha Dixon, a UK singer, model and TV Presenter turned up at the Shell EcoMarathon in Stratford. At the time I thought she was just a model as about to start the final EcoMarathon race but I was wrong as she was also to do a 30-60min concert. Their was a short 20min photoshoot before the race started and to me she looked like a pro model little did I know she was a well known TV/singer.

Some pics.. I didnt hang around too long, I've never shot a concert or a motor race before and my location wasn't the best and I didnt take a lot of pics as I had other things planned.

D800 + 85mm 1.8G. These pics are tack sharp and there was non of the weird inconsistent AF problems that I ran into before and still get when the light isnt so good.

Alesha Dixon - the first two pics are crops and their still 10MB.

Uncropped and my last shot before I left.

The level of detail and sharpness was stunning with the 85mm 1.8. I'd like to know that I can consistently get that level of sharpness but atm thats not the case. Had me think of the ZD35-100F2 +E3 and how that would have compared.

That 36Mpx I think could make you turn into a lazy photographer and forget about composition and trying to get things right in camera. Now I know why the other event photo's were using burst mode with their 1DXs/D4/D5s. The rest of the gallery .. https://harjtt.smugmug.com/Photography/AleshaDixon-ShellEco2017/n-5TZkdS/

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Aug 20, 2017 at 4:11 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:18 PM   #2

Wow, those are nice shots Harj and very sharp.

I looked it on your gallery and looks great, you are not having anymore AF problems according with this pictures.

How do you like so far the Nikon FF system?

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:57 PM   #3

If I'm inside or outside and the light is average the cam still struggles which is a little annoying esp when I think there's more than enough contrast in the scene. Still think its my technique that I need to work on to improve the number of keepers.

I'm liking the D800.. and esp the primes - both of them a re gems, the setup feels good although I'd have liked the CA/PF on both to have been better controlled. Not sure about 3/2 esp in portrait .. too narrow for my liking but its good to have the 5 x 4 mode.

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Aug 25, 2017 at 2:07 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:00 PM   #4

I think moving from Olympus to Nikon takes some time to get used to the new controls, settings and specially AF.

The advantages you have of the stabilization system and the supersonic sensor cleaning from Olympus is unique and something I really miss.

The IQ primes deliver with the D810 is another league, the isolation or transition of bokeh between the subject and the background is just beautiful.

Glad you like it and I hope you can find a solution soon for the AF issue.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote