Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 25, 2004, 10:20 AM   #1

Default What's the difference between tiff and nef?

I know that NEF is supposed to be raw format. However, I thought TIFF was also a raw format. A TIFF large size image is about 17 mb whereas a NEF large size image is only a couple mb or less.

I would like to shoot NEF but Nikon View is apparently the only program that can read those images. I hate Nikon View so I don't use it. Paint Shop Pro supports a raw format but you have to define some header parameters before you can use it and I don't know what values to use.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2004, 10:57 AM   #2

NEF is Raw format ,no processing done by the camera. TIFF is a non lossy format, however it is processed. I don't use Nikon view, that much either, however you can open a NEF image adjust what you want (white balance etc.) Then save as a TIFF and open it with any program you want. There is a plugin for Photoshop that will open Nikon NEF images. I am sure other plugins are available. The advantages to NEF are smaller size than TIFF and just raw data, much simpler to manipulate than an already processed image.
At least for me.
Jim1957 is offline   Reply With Quote