Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 31, 2004, 9:23 PM   #1
Default Remote Flash Photography with the D70 ??

I just purchased the Nikon D70 along with the Nikon SB-800 speedlight and am very new to dSLR photography. How do I set up both the D70 and SB-800 if I want to use the built-in flash on the D70 to remotely fire the SB-800 which is on a tripod using the enclosed flash stand? :?:
agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2004, 12:26 PM   #2

Did you ever find out how to do this? I am wanting to do the ame thing, but haven't figured it out yet.
gmblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 12:50 PM   #3

From what I've read (anyone correct me if I'm wrong), you need a minimum of 2 SB-800 or 1 SB-800 on camera and 1 SB-600 (remote)in order to take advantage of remote flash photography. The SB-800 on the camera is what controls the other flash units wirelessly...therefore you need a minimum of 2 flash units!
private is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 2:09 PM   #4

I have gotten this to work with just my one flash and a reflector. It just way to cool!

Reading the instructions made me take a minute and slow down my self. Here is what you do:

On the camera, go into custom setting 19 (Flash Mode) and select Commander Mode, then TTL, then OK.

In this case,a master flash is defined as an SB-800 mounted to the camera directly to the hotshoe or with a TTL remote cord; all others are remotes. That is why you have to set the camera as the "master" and the flash as remote.

On the flash, turn it on. Press and hold the SEL button until the custom settings menu comes up (about 2 seconds). Find andhighlight flash mode; hit SEL. Using the +/- buttons,highlight Remote then hit SEL. The display will now show REMOTE. Hit SEL again then +/- to select channel 3. Hit SEL, then +/- to set group A then hit SEL one last time.

The SB-800 has to act as the master in a mulitple flash setup whenmounted to the camera but can also work as a remote; the SB-600 can only function as a single flash mounted to the hotshoe/remote cord or as a remote in the multiple flash wireless setup.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote