Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 9, 2004, 8:43 AM   #1
Default Lens Protection for D70

For my D70, I'm considering using Cokin filters (P series). This will be new to me since I've always used "traditional" screw-in filters.

Any recommendations on lens protection? I'm considering a UV or skylight screw-in that I'd keep permanently attached. Is this a good idea, or am I being obsessive about protecting my lens?

Would this filter degrade lens/camera performance or interfere with filter effects?
bharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2004, 10:32 AM   #2

Although I've never used the Cokin system, it intrigues me. Unfortunately, I don't think it will work with my Sigma lenses. One has a filter size of 77mm and the other is 82mm. Even if Cokin has an adapter that size, I have never seen any of their filter elements that large.

Regarding UV filters permanently mounted on lens, DO IT! A $20 filter is much easier to replace than a $500 lens. I have UV filters on all of my current lenses and have always used them.

A UV (Skylight) filter has little effect on the photograph although it might help cut through the haze on distant mountains, etc. You should probably replace your UV filters about every 2-3 years. The filter may not lose its UV properties but it will accumulate small scratches that would be on your lens if the filter were not there!

Bottom line, a $20 investment to protect a $500 lens is pretty good insurance in my book.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2004, 12:29 PM   #3

Thanks for the thoughts. I think I'll go with skylight since I hear that digital camera have plenty of UV protection already.

Regarding your lens sizes, the Cokin X-Pro series has large adaptor rings including your sizes and larger...
bharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 4:26 AM   #4

Be aware the kit lens of the D70 is not flat. I've been told using some cheaper/thicker screw in filters you may end up grinding the centre portion of the front element.

I'm using a Hoya Super Multi-Coated Skylight filter on mine (I guessed I got suckered into buying the most expensive available at the time), and I'm unsure if it offers better optical performance than a normal priced one.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote