Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 23, 2004, 9:18 AM   #11

I recently learnt something about flash photography. It's not strictly related to the D70, but I guess this is as good a place to post as any.

For night time flash photography where the on-camera or ahot-shoe mounted flash is your main source of light, use the maximum flash sync speed your camera is capable of.

It's from Moose Peterson's site - www.moose395.netmorespecifically, http://www.moose395.net/howto/flash.html(section entitled: The Shutter Speed Mystery)

The max flash sync of most cameras (the fastest shutter speed you can use with flash turned on) is around 1/200s, the duration of flash itself is much faster - Peterson states it's between 1/1000 to 1/23000s (I think there may be an extra zero in the latter figure, but that's a direct quote from his page). With this in mind, for night time flash photography (where one does not expect ambient light to contribute significantly to the exposure), there is no reason NOT to use any other shutter speed than your camera's maximum flash sync speed. Why? Reading Moose's page, you'll understand why changing shutter speed does not alter flash exposure. Using a faster shutter speed avoids camera shake - so using the maximum shutter speed possible minimises poor images induced by shaky hands.

Itsurprisedme to learn that shutter speed had no effect on flash exposure. At first I didn't believe it, and I tried it for myself before I was convinced. To me, this is fascinating and it'll clearly change the way I take flash pictures in future.

The above suggestion is not applicable during daytime, when the flash is used as fill.

Also on the same page from Moose's link is the relationship between flash and ambient/available light exposure (eg. using flash in daytime). Normal light exposure is dependent on shutter speed and lens aperture (ignoring ISO sensitivity as this is constant for both ambient and flash lighting). Flash exposure is dependent on distance from flash to subject and aperture. The only thing they have in common is aperture - so setting the correct aperture for exposure becomes very important if you want to preserve the balance of natural light and the amount of fill from the flash.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2004, 2:38 PM   #12

All you need to understand is that if your flash is the ONLY source of light then the duration of the flash is the real exposure timer, not the shutter. The actual duration of most electronic strobes is very fast, probably 1/2500 or faster. If you use a slow shutter speed then there is a very good chance that you will get image blurring if there's enough ambient light on your subject. The flash exposed portion of the image will be razor sharp but therewill be a secondary (ghostly looking) image recorded from the ambient light which will overlap withthe primary image.

The only exposure control you have when using a flash is the lens aperture and/or the output intensity or directionof the flash.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2004, 8:39 PM   #13

I found the following link very usefull for processing NEF files:

Been using my D70 for 2 weeks now, and manual control with a custom tone curve is definately the way to go. One happy customer

D70 in New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 12:23 PM   #14

In regards to the D70's flash sync rate, is it 1/500 with all flashes or just the newer high level ones? For example, with my old SB-28, would the sync rate still be 1/500 or would it be lower? Thanks
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 9:13 PM   #15

Does anyone know?
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote