Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 3, 2004, 11:47 AM   #1

I'm a newbie when it comes to digital photography (especially with dSLRs). I recently purchased a Nikon D70 (Montreal - Canada) and was wondering if anyone can explain (in plain English) what "backfocus" is? How do I test my D70 for this?
agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2004, 12:35 PM   #2

Backfocus is when a picture is not focused on the subject you were taking, but a little bit behind. A simple test you can do, is to place a piece of paper with text on it on the floor, shoot it at 45 degre angle and focus on a specific line in the middle. Get sure you have good lighting and use a tripod and 10 secondtimer to stop all vibrations. Set the focus mode to AF-S and AF area mode to single area. Just do a few shots using a couple of different zoom/aperture/distance combination. Get sure that you dont shoot at a shorter distance than the minimumfocusing distance of the lens.Look at the picture and verify that the sharpest line is the one you targeted.Theperfectly focusedportion should 1/3 in front of the target and 2/3 behind.The low aperture will made the focused area smaller and the problem will be more obvious if present. Remember that there is probably a lot more good D70s than bad one's out there

MyD70 is perfect (tested with the kit lens and a 70/300 lens)and yours should be as well, sinceboth have been bougth in Montreal andare probably from the same batch.

Have fun since this is such a great camera.

Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 12:50 PM   #3

tested mine too...also bought in montreal, canada... no problems at all.
private is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 9:23 PM   #4

I did a similar, yet not quite so structured test. Took a book, spread it with one hand, held the D70 with the other, aimed at the middle of the book and checked the image after...

Absolutely perfect!
PlatinumWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote