Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 29, 2004, 5:28 PM   #1

A friend of mine really wants the D70. He is NOT a photographer, amateur or otherwise, and wants to do no (or VERY little) post-processing. He has a number of lenses from his film camera, and will be taking general family photos AND sports photos of his daughter who is on the USC womans soccer team (go Trojans!).

Is this the right camera for him? I have a D100 which tends to underexpose, but I enjoy post-processing and always end up with great pictures. If he gets the same results I don't think he'll be happy :sad:.

I look forward to any input I get.

Jeff Mirkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2004, 5:50 PM   #2

As a former film SLR amateur and digital point-and-shoot user, and amere amateur photographer, I don't think he will be happy, due to apparent under-exposureon auto point-and-shoot settings-- until and unless Nikon boosts the mid-rangeof the normal tone curve by about +0.5EV to enable the D70 on Auto or Vari-Program settings to emulate the good 5+ megapixel point-and-shoots (like the Olympus C-5050Z which I also have and is a great point and shoot producing super crisp images if you don't mind a rangefinder and having to correct for parallax at close distances). It's true that you can use custom tone curves to take care of the D70's under-exposure (as I have done), but that, of course, won't work in the Auto and Vari-Program modes that a point-and-shooter will be using. In addition, Nikon's Thailand production folks obviously need to improve their quality when it comes to calibration -- witness all the "back-focus" concerns around (which I can attest to -- it is decidedly NOT a bown-out-of-proportion issue when you can't count on Nikon's auto-focus to give you a sharp image at the central focal point of a close-upimage). In fact, I've just sent my D70 and kit lens (purchased in April) to Nikon Factory Repair to do something about the focus and sharpness (and I've also asked them to look into the under-exposure issue in the normal tone curve for point-and-shoot purposes, although I suspect that's set the way they intended, and I generally won't shoot on Auto anyway).

I'd love to hear what others have to say. I love the feel and controls of the D70, but I've been pretty disappointed by the focus and exposure issues -- and, in the end, it's all about the quality of the image, not the technical specs and features of the camera. I'm really hoping that Nikon Repair can get the focus "dead-on" for me (as others report they have done) -- because, unless they do, I'm going to look into returning the whole shebang.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 5:47 PM   #3

Maybe if he loads a custom curve, designed to his tastes? Although I guess thats a lot of hassle if their not really that keen.

Otherwise, how many/how good are the Nikon lenses they've already got? The canon 300d (digital rebel) is supposed to produce rich creamy colours out of the box i think ? But obviously your looking at selling up and buying new glass then. (Though the D70 is more expensive, so the canon allows more budget for lenses perhaps)

Swings and roundabouts I guess :-)
jimbojetset is offline   Reply With Quote