Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 31, 2004, 3:52 AM   #1

I have a once in a lifetime chance to shoot this Saturday's Belmont Stakes horse race. I own the D1X (no firmware upgrade) and D100. I have lots of Nikon lenses, from the 80-400 zoom to the 10.5mm fisheye. I am thinking of buying either the D70 or the D2H. For this opportunity-10 or 15 seconds as the horses come down the stretch-which Nikon is going to give me the best performance? By performance I mean firing off continuous shots using the autofocus; also, does it make a difference if I shoot RAW vs. jpeg or TIFF; any suggestion on the best lens for the action shots?? Thanks, Lee.
lee38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2004, 4:23 AM   #2

D2H all the way for sports, though it is twicethe price of the D70. (In The UK anyway) I say this because the D70 only does 3 fps up to 9 frames in Jpeg fine, (less in Raw format) or 3 fps continously i think if u use Jpeg normal and the sandisk ultra II? (check that last bit)

From my experience of shootingCricket matches withD70, 3 fpsisn't enough really as the shot has already been played or bowlers action already through by the time the 2nd frame is fired, andpressing shutter release earlier just means your first shot is kinda 'pre-action'

Whether this will make a difference for you with horse racing I don't know! :-)Nevertheless, despite D2H only being 4mp I believe the autofocus is more advanced/quicker ? (Though like I said it should be at more than twice the price) And because it does 8 fps up to 40 frames, you will get more shots from your 10 /15 seconds of action.

As for lenses I wouldn't like to say as my experience only extends to the D70 kit lens and an el cheapo Nikon 70-300mm zoom :-)Hope this helps a bit... sure the rest of the board will be able to provide some higher level advice. Jim
jimbojetset is offline   Reply With Quote