Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 5, 2004, 9:24 AM   #1

Iam very interested and eager to get a D70. I have had Nikons in the past and currently have an
N75. I also have the following lenses:
AF Nikkor 28-80mm
AF Nikkor 35-70mm
AF Nikkor 70-210mm
My questions: Do you all think I should go with the D70 body only or is the kit lens really good to have? Or is another lens all together better to spend my money on? Is it a better deal to get the kit or purchase the lens separately later?
I'm really chomping at the bit to get this camera in time for summer/grandchildren shots -- any opinions would be welcome.

gheghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2004, 8:13 PM   #2

The kit lens is extremely good value. In fact, even if you're planning to use your existing lenses at this stage, once you've tried a D70 with kit lens, you'll probably think twice! It's extremely good optically (just a little barrel distortion at the wide end), despite it's all plastic construction, and features a silent wave motor auto focus system for very fast focusing. My only gripe is it's max aperture of only F/4.5 at the long end.

I even prefer it to my collection of older MF lenses with sturdy metal construction - as the lens (eg. 28-200) seems to weigh more than the body and it's a strange feeling of ill-balance.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 5:19 PM   #3

Personally I'd go with the kit lens, as for me your widest focal length equivalent (with focal multiplier of 1.5 X)28mm becomes 42mm, which (for me) isn't wide enough, though this depends on you and what your shooting.

Will second Onyx's thoughtson value and pretty impressive performance,though also barrel distortion too... see top picture on this link http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jimbojetset/example.htm

jimbojetset is offline   Reply With Quote