Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 16, 2004, 1:01 PM   #1

In reading the manual for the D70, there is the point and shoot Vari-Programs Auto mode that allows very little changes from what the camera selects and the "P" Auto Multi Program which allows more customization. But are the algorithms the same for the given functions if left to the camera. In other words, if I started with "P" and did not make any changes from defaults, would it result in the same picture as "Auto"? It appears I can use "P" to make key adjustments to my preferences, basically tuning the automatic functions to my liking. So, I should just forget "Auto" and start with "P" and slowly make adjustments. Then as I learn more, I move to Apeture or Shutter priority?
jspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2004, 9:16 AM   #2

I believe you are correct - the camera when left to its own devices would choose the same shooting settings in P as in other auto modes.

The auto modes simply have their parameters fixed, whereas with M, A, S and P these custom functions can be changed. The most significant of these customisable parameters IMHO is the tone curve. Having a custom tone curve greatly enhances picture quality from my personal shooting experience.

On the other hand, in auto mode selections are made by the camera's, presumably with optimal settings for its intended use: eg. landscape mode sets colour mode III to bring out the greens of scenery, portrait mode has less in-camera sharpeningand set colour mode I with (I believe) a slight hue negative shift (emphasises pink of skins).
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote