Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 4, 2004, 2:31 PM   #1

Anyone interested in creating panoramas using the Nikon D70 can hopefully benefit from my experience, detailed in this paper:

- Jerry
duckware is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2004, 8:30 PM   #2

I was under the impression the point at which the camera should pivot was at the actual sensor, meaning that if you put the camera on a normal tripod and rotated it, it would line up correctly. In my experience, this has generated quite nice panoramas.

I think adjusting the brightness in the image is more critical so that there arn't obvious differences in the amount of light.

I'm not at my PC at the moment, but I'll put up some decent quality images of mine this evening and we can compare notes.

PlatinumWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 9:44 AM   #3

Search google on the subject of nodal points, which will turn up probably more than you ever wanted to know about the subject:

This should more than confirm to you that the nodal point isdefinitely not 'the actual sensor'.

If you are taking panoramas of things far away, the need for an accurate pivot point is greatly reduced. However, itbecomes important to have a very accurate nodal point when there are objects close to the lens.

You really need to run the nodal point experiment suggested in the paper to see for yourself.

duckware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2004, 1:03 AM   #4

Thanks for that Duckware - that was a very informative article.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote