Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 8, 2004, 9:39 AM   #1

I just purchased a ned Nikon D70 in Singapore and came with a 28-80 mm f/3.3-5.6 G lense. The same camera here in the US comes with a 18 - 70 mm DX 3.5 -4.5 G AF- ED Zoom lense.
Which of the two lenses is better? does it make sense to get the new 18-70 lense?
I am very new at this subject so I appreciate the advise.
runner49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2004, 12:22 PM   #2

Well, I guess it depends what you want to photograph Runner. If wide angle (indoor use, family snaps close up, landscapeetc) isn't your thing then the existing lens will do. Most of us are used to 35mm lens ratios, and this lens that came with the camera is equivalent to a 42/120mm lens in "old money". The 18/70 is more practical in that it equates to 27/105, coping with most peoples general photography better. Ignore the upper end of the zoom end, is the angle at 28mm(42mm in 35mm camera terms) wide enough for you? If it is, then good enough, you have no need to change. If you find you can't get the desired image in the frame at the desired or enforced distance, then you need the other lens which will meet your needs. They both have the same aperture rating really, so it is up to you.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 1:29 AM   #3

I answered you in the Nikon Forum.

Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2004, 9:35 PM   #4

I've been satisfied with the Nikkor24-120VR zoom lens. Several users have offered opinions in the database here: http://non-aol.com/D70/

Hope you can share your experience, too.

paseur is offline   Reply With Quote