Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 13, 2004, 10:21 PM   #1

A few hours ago, my awesome fiance brought home a new D70 to replace my Coolpix 995 that died last weekend after 3 years or so.

As a result, she decided to be safe and purchased the Ritz Camera "Expanded Service Policy" to the tune of $198 for 1 year. I have the option to return and obtain a refund of this plan within 10 days. My questions is, should I keep it?

Per the policy,

Ritz Camera Centers agree to repair, or at their option to replace, within the term of this policy, any equipment specified herin which is rendered unusable due to:

1. Defects in material or workmanship.

2. Wear & tear from normal or abnormal use, including unintentional abuse.

3. Effects of shock or trauma.

4. Effects of excessive heat or cold (except fire damage).

5. Effects of exposure to fresh, salt or brackish water.

6. Effects of exposure to chemicals.

If repair is not considered by Ritz to be feasible and the exact model equipment is not available, Ritz agrees to replace for like model.

I would greatly appreciate your input on whether or not I should keep it.

JawKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2004, 10:49 PM   #2

If you are planning to put it in the freezer, drop it from a balloon, or otherwise mistreat it as abysmally as that, keep the warranty. But check out Ritz cameras reputation on the net to help you decide. They don't rate at all highly. Here is the last review printed:-

Ritz Camera totally ripped me off with my camera. I bought a Nikon N75, and they told me that the warranty came with it. They didn't offer me any other kind of warranty. I took about five roles of film, and they turned out great. The next three films didn't turn out at all...they were blank. So I took it to Ritz to have it fixed, and they told me that the part that was broken wasn't covered under warranty and it would cost me $267.00 to fix it (I only paid $299.00 for it). They employees were completely rude when I talked to them about it. All Ritz Camera cares about is making money. The last thing that they care about is customer satisfaction.

That isn't the only one I'm afraid.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 8:49 AM   #3

I bought my D70 from Ritz in Apriland I refused the warrenty. I am going to take a chance. I havenever gotten a warrenty for any of my cameras. I never had a major problem. Also, I do not use my camera professionally and the elements are very controlled, no sand, cold tempertures, etc. You get the warrenty for one year and renew it again the next year and so on, the money you put into the warrenty may pay for what ever happens to your camera, if anything.

Congrats on your new camera. Have fun and enjoy it, I love mine. There is a lot to learn soread the manual. I referred to mine so many times before I felt I had a good understanding. I still go back and I am still learning. The best thing is to start taking pictures, you learn from errors.

Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2004, 12:06 PM   #4

It is a good policy, but it is pricey. If you are gonna be out and about with your camera, and possibly be getting it wet or sandy or (none of us would ever!) drop it, ect.... it is probablya good idea. If you are a super incredibly careful person, maybe not. I have seen a few repairs on the D70 to the tune of about $700 a pop.

In the end, make a decision and be happy with it. I hate nothing more than second guessing myself constantly! :-)
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2004, 10:53 AM   #5

When I purchased my D-100 a year ago, I was offered the policy. I was told basically that if I set it on the roof of my car, drove off and smashed it to bits, it would be covered. I figured that if I was that stupid to do something like that, I shouldn't by the camera. I passed on the policy, the camera has been a gem to use with absolutley no problems. You have the factory warranty that comes with it and it should cover most anything that might go wrong. My recommendation is dump the policy and get your money back and buy something more useful if you'd like.

Oh BTW, like Nadia states, keep that manual handy!! I still refer back to mine every so often.

Good luck & enjoythe D70!!!!!!
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 6:51 AM   #6

I just bought a Mack 5 year warranty on ebay for $70, which is substantially lower than in-store prices for same. Mack is authorized Nikon repair station.
JOHNCHAP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 12:09 PM   #7

The high price of the ESP is one of the main reasons I didn't buy my camera at Ritz. Had an ESP on my N60 (parents were willing to pay for the warranty) but don't believe I ever used it to know how well it worked.
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote