Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 15, 2004, 8:44 AM   #1

I oftenfind on this forum a lot of questions regarding a good wide-range zoom lens for use on the Nikon D's.

When I purchased my D1X, 18-35, 24-85 and 80-400 VR a little over 3 years ago, it soon became apparent that I also needed a single wide-range zoom for, as I call it, traveling light. So, I did a lot of research via the Internet and finally concluded that the best lens for my need was the Tokina 24-200 mm ATX. So, a few months later I purchased one from B&H. On a Nikon D, it is equivalent to a 36 to 300 mm on a film body, moderate wide angle to very telephoto. It can be purchased for under $300. I find it rather amazing that such a low cost lens is so good......and, all metal construction to boot!

I've been delighted with the lens. According to test reports, it has a little barrel distortion, soft corners and light fall-off in the corners when on a 35 mm film body. However, because of the 1.5 factor on the Nikon digicams, those "faults" are cut off the picture and have not been faults for me at all. In fact, the only negative things I can say about the lens are that it is a bit slower focusing than my Nikons and has the apperture lock in a strange position which caused my fingers to sometimes knock it out of the locked position. The slower focusing was easy to learn to live with. The other problem was easily solved by glueing (with plastic cement) the focus lock button in the locked position, affectively making the lens the same as a Nikon G series lens and requiring that any manual apperture settings be made on the camera rather than the lens barrel.

A year after getting the D1X, I acquired a D-100 body, so that I wouldn't have to change lenses so often on the D1X. However, usage experience over two years with the two bodies has me still changing lenses on the D1X and leaving the Tokina on the D-100. It is a superb combination. I can throw the D-100 with the Tokina on it, a flash and sometimes my 12-24 mm Nikon into my camera bag and am truly "traveling light!"

On my recommendation, three of my friends have purchased this lens, two with D-100's and the third with a Canon Digital Rebel. They are as pleased with it as I am.

I'm posting this because I find that this excellent Tokina lens seldom gets the attention it deserves. I'm just a very serious amateur photographer and have no connection with any company in the phtoographic industry. Here is the link to my website. If a photo is listed as being from the D-100, it was most likely taken with the Tokina lens, unless it was a super wide angle shot:

commodoredon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links