Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 13, 2004, 9:17 PM   #1

Iam looking at purchasing a Hoya Close-Up Filter Set (+1 +2 +4) Multi Coated Diopters and step up/down rings until I can get an inexpensive but good macro lens. Does anyone have any experience with these or a lens suggestion?Thanks,

Bartlesville, OK
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2004, 9:46 PM   #2

IMHO, save up for a dedicated macro lens.

I bought a Canon 500D - it's a two element close up filter, the most expensive of its kind... if that's any indication of optical quality. It's equivalent to Nikon's 6T IIRC.
With these diopters, there's a huge reduction in depth of field, that forces you to select small apertures (f/16 -f/22) with the inherent lack of light issue to overcome.

There's also a focus issue which I'm assuming is universal - the instructions included with the 500D recommends setting the lens focus to its closest setting and physically move the camera in or out until the subject is in focus in the viewfinder. This is quite troublesome conditions to shoot in, considering the need for camera support (aka tripod) due to the lack of light issue, necessitated by the small aperture.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote