Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 20, 2004, 8:45 PM   #1

I am looking at purchasing either a Nikon D70 or possible the canon EOS300D (Rebel).

All the D70 owners have been kind enough to tell me why I should go for it and not the Rebel, while all the Canon owners have been keen to tell me the good things about rhe Rebel.

What I would like is any criticism the owners have of their own camera (if any).

Thanks in advance

Aussie Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2004, 1:07 AM   #2

Criticism of the D70 will be far and few I feel, since on quality, handling, and ease of use I find it hard to fault. But if you want to be really picky then there are two small things that require constant attention.

1) The command dial is easily knocked and you can find yourself moving from aperture prioity to programme mode, or whatever. No great shakes, but if it was stiffer it would be better.

2) Choose your auto focus mode with care. This might seem an obvious one and in reality you are only asking the camera to perform it's designated function, but I find this camera more exigent than my F90X.

I had to think hard to post these two minute niggles, but if you compare the features of the D70 to the Rebel there is no doubt which wins on paper.

But why listen to biased opinions? Go straight to Steve's review of the D70, click on the "conclusion" page, and you will understand the difference from an impartial viewpoint. In essence, Canon built a camera down to a price by stripping out features, while Nikon improved on the more expensive D100 in many areas at a cheaper price.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 8:42 AM   #3

Worst thing I find with the d70 is the viewfinder

I have used a number of NIKONS , and am used to looking through the viewfinder and seeing an image which is a nice big size. With the d70, it is the smallest and possibly the darkest I have ever seen in 20 years of being in the business of selling cameras. For me, this is most important for macro photography.

The camera does not allow me iso 100, or 50, which I am used to having used slide film for years.

If I had the chance to ask for one other feature to add to the d70, it would be mirror lockup. It would be a much better camera with it.

Some people miss the vertical grip which provides more battery power, I just find it makes the camera heavier, and I don't need more weight in my bag thanks! So I don't miss it.

Since I'm complaining, I would say that NIKON should include NIKON CAPTURE 4.1 EDITOR, instead of charging 100 big ones for it.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the camera alot, it has alot of strong points.

I will be shocked if NIKON makes another dslr with such a small viewfinder again, but you never know do you...

ps. oh yeah, I can live with the viewfinder issue, but its definitely a disappointment. That and no mirror lockup.
sdmackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 11:50 AM   #4

I have a D70, and there is one thing that I am disappointed about that has me thinking about possibly returning it. The flash causes some percentage of the population to blink just about every time. Sadly I am among the folks with this problem.

What happens apparently is that the d-TTL flash metering scheme lets the flash go off a fraction of a second before the mirror flips up to expose the CCD. While the mirror is still down and after the flash fires, the camera uses the exposure meter to determine what metering will be best given the lighting provided by the flash. Sounds great, but unfortunately the flash goes off early enough that some folks will already have blinked by the time the mirror finally goes up.

There is a apparently a work-around, which is to take one picture just for metering purposes, lock the exposure settings, and then take the "real" picture. Kind of a pain .

More about this problem can be found here: http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...0x&unified_p=1
baxissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 1:18 AM   #5

Baxissimo, I don't know if this will help you out any on the flash problem but here is a link to a D70 review regarding the flash.

Bjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 11:59 AM   #6

SDMackie, a couple of the items you mention apply to the D100, also. 200 minimum ISO has not been a problem for me. The highest setting I have used was 800 when shooting the moon the other night. I also have spent most of my life shooting ISO 50 or 100.

As for mirror lockup, the D100 mirror can be locked up by connecting a cable to a laptop computer and using software to control the mirror. Not sure if the software is Nikon Capture or something else. The feature is primarily for maintenance and I don't know if it can be used for actual shooting. This "feature" is probably present in the D70, also.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 9:47 PM   #7

Yeah, that's true with the mirror lockup for the d70 as well. Seems to allow for maintenance.

From what I understand, it can't be used for taking pics though. I haveread some people discussing this in forums, and some feel that since the d100 & 70 have that ability, it may just take a software upgrade to allow the cameras to use that feature for picture taking! I have my fingers crossed!

sdmackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 12:40 PM   #8

What about the moire which is clearly visible on some photogrphic tests?
I am just wondering that how often moire is visible on "normal" pictures and
if moire is visible can it be avoided by using RAW format insted of Jpeg?
Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 7:11 PM   #9

Is anyone able to quickly explain to me why we'd want to lock the mirror up?

I think it's either to do with extra-long exposures, or to reduce the not inconsiderable shake you get when the internal mechanisms move, but I don't really know..

PlatinumWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 4:08 AM   #10

Mirror lockup is useful for relatively short exposures with long telephoto lenses, where "mirror slap" may induce vibration in the camera during the exposure. If a sturdytripod is a giant step in the right direction, then mirror lockup is a small step in the same direction. I find it most useful in medium-format portrait photography, where the mirror is so big and heavy that it causes palpable camera vibration.
paseur is offline   Reply With Quote