Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 18, 2004, 12:07 PM   #1

I used to own the Olympus compact digital Camedia 5050z. The photo quality was what I believed to be the best I've ever seen. Sharp and crisp with no tweaking needed.

I do have to say that the D70's photos don't match that quality. Does anyone know any tips to help make my photos sharp. I'm familiar with doing adjusting the shutter speed ,focal length, etc.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Kareem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2004, 10:45 PM   #2

Try unsharp mask with the following settings:

That's just for a local contrast as I'd like to call it. Also, are you shooting in Adobe 1998 or sRGB modes I or III? And how are you looking at the images, Photoshop, internet browser, an image browser? The application must be able to juggle color profiles, internet browsers cannot see past sRGB, so Adobe 1998 images would look washed out and lacking punch in say Internet Explorer.

Remember that DSLR's can go beyond ISO 400 w/o problems and your doubts will go away :-)
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2004, 12:55 AM   #3

I had the same impression that Olympus is sharper when I first got D70.But it seems the 5050z sharpensthe pictures in the camera more aggresively as default and therefore pictures look grainier. Left: D70 Right: C5050
Attached Images
wewe4 is offline   Reply With Quote