Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 13, 2004, 6:16 PM   #1

I'm going to a Monster truck race at a local indoor arena (Tacoma Dome). I will be using my Tameron 28mm – 300mm digital zoom lens. I'm new to this camera and just wondering what camera settings some of you experienced photographers would use in this situation. I will be using a mono pod with a ball head to try and reduce camera shake. I generally shoot in Manual mode but I have never done these sort of pictures before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

cdteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2004, 2:50 AM   #2

I don't know the lens but guess it will be about F5.6 at least at the long end. The only advice I would give to you is to put the camera on shutter priority (the front wheel) and see the fastest speed you can get away with before the viewfinder tells you not enough light by showing "Lo". That way you'll know the limits of the lens, but if you are down to 1/60th or less you might as well pack up and go home because you need a fast shutter speed to freeze the action.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 8:00 AM   #3

IIRC the tamron 28-300 has max aperture of f/6.3 at the long end -that's horrendously slow. Just hope that there's plenty of bright light, and if you white balance correctly (use Preset) you might end up with decent pics.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 12:47 AM   #4

You might also want to check with the Tacoma Dome's camera policy. I know several arena's will not allow you to bring in a camera with a detachable lens because it can be considered "professional photography". I know one thing though is I'm quite jealous as the Tacoma Dome always has some great monster truck shows. I'm going to one in Greensboro, NC and I hope my new D70 and accesories show up quick enough for the show.
Dustin_Hart_AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 11:09 PM   #5

As Dustin said, you may want to check tacomadome.org to check about cameras, or call the Tacoma Dome in the morning (not sure if anyone will be there Saturday or not). I'll be covering the event, but I know once when going to either the Tacoma Dome or somewhere similar as a spectator I was told a SLR would be okay as long as I didn't use a "pro" lens (i.e. 80-200 2.8). You may also want to see if flash is allowed. Not sure how much good a flash would do, but I recall seeing flashes at the Monster Jam last year. Probably wouldn't hurt to try.
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote