Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 16, 2004, 10:12 PM   #1

With the D2H coming down in price, which camera do you think is the "way to go"

Granted I need a good lens and that brings the price up,
(looking at the 20D and there one of their better lenses ~ $1995.00, will ad two more lenses for the total package).

Do you think the 8 mega pixal is a big difference or is the quality of this heavy duty Nikon far superior to the 20D.

Just thinking that if, for the cost of a lens I get a far better made camera, then maybe that is the way to go.

I shoot lanscapes, outdoor stuff (birds, reptiles, etc) no sports that require fast shots, except I do want a responsive camera.

I own a Nikon 4500, a 8400, and a small Oly point and shoot.

When I was in the film business I had a host of Canon F1n's and almost all of their lenses (wish I still had that stuff)

The only SLR I have now is a Super Program Pentax and lenses to match.

That to you folks think?

wll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2004, 11:36 PM   #2

The 20D is Canon's mid level DSLR, the Nikon D2H is a pro camera through and through, so you're not really comparing like bodies- but is a nice complement to Canon that you would compare a 20D to a D2H. The D2H really is up against the Canon 1D Mark II & the Canon 20D's main Nikon competition is the D70. The two are close enough that if I owned either lens system already that would decide which camera I bought.

Go to a site like DPReview where you can put two or more cameras side by side, look at the differences in specs and decide which best fits your needs. If you have a local store that sells both brands go in and check both out in person. You can't really go wrong with either brand. They are both so busy trying to one-up the other with new models, more resolution, less noise, faster operation, that in the final analysis both Nikon and Canon shooters win.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 12:15 AM   #3

If you're not doing sports, would a lower level DSLR like the Nikon D70 or Canon Rebel fit the bill? Not as fast as cameras like the D2H or 20D, but both are $900 or less right now so you get a fairly quick camera and still have money left for good lenses.
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 2:09 PM   #4

Thank you for your imput .. I'm "In the Mood" for a new cam, but not in a hurry.

Right now the 20D has my vote, but Nikon will be coming up in short order with some hot stuff I'm sure.

I will make my purchase after Feb 2004. Both Canon and Nikon have great lenses but Canon (for now) has the edge on low light stuff.

wll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 2:58 PM   #5

I would probably say if you don't do sports then the Canon is the way to go between the 20d and d2h...

the obvious disadvantage of the d2h is 4mp, but your advantages are a pro-level body, better/more advance autofocus autofocus and 8fps as opposed to 5fps - great if you're shooting fast moving stuff...

but for landscapes and wildlife I'd be tempted to lean towards the canon with its higher resolution, and better performance at high ISO's...

either way you'll be happy i'd have thought :-)

jimbojetset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 2:29 PM   #6

I have the D70 and just picked up the D2H. I'm not sure why you aren't including the D70 in your analysis, as it is a very fine camera and should serve your intended purposes very well. The difference in the bodies is huge. If one of your criteria was that you wanted to be able to bludgeon someone to death with your camera, then get the D2H with the 17-55mm DX lens and you are all set. It is one solid heavy camera. I'm just kidding of course, because that is what I'm carrying around now. But seriously, if you are doing a lot of hiking (which I do not) to get those wildlife pics, then the D70 is a better choice as it is a lot smaller and lighter. The D2H is about 50% taller than the D70, and I think the D70 is comparable to the 20D in size.

But, the camera is a dream.. huge LCD, incredible ergonomics, built like a tank, and fires like an uzi. It is a lower in megapixels, but I don't see a huge difference in image quality to the D70. I don't print anything really big, so the much larger megapixels just makes for larger files to deal with. Although that is nice if you are going to be cropping.

I don't know how long the D2Hs will last at the current prices, so it may be a one-time opportunity to get into a pro body for this price point. The D2H and D2X are nearly identical.
convergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 12:09 AM   #7

"The D2H and D2X are nearly identical"

not in any way. i shot with a D2X a few months ago. there is quite a few differences that the similar body belies.

the imager is now a sony based cmos unit. no more ccd. the internal processing is based on the sony system too it being 4 channels 1 A/D converter per color. the additional 4th channel is for theadded emerald green color. the iso is still limited though.

don't let the outside similarities fool you.

now if they could only remember what full frame means. i think they might be gettin the idea.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 12:07 PM   #8

From on independent review

Nikon D2X - To each their own. I'm unimpressed by simple megapixels as you may read here, so personally I'm sticking with my D70 for it's twice better weight, twice higher ISO speeds, twice better sync speed and one-quarter price. If you'd rather read a chat room where people discuss this instead of making photos have a look here. I rarely shoot sports, so the almost triple frame rate of the D2X isn't likely to get me to shell out four Gs. When I want quality I shot my large format film camera since the D2X is no match for that, and since I shoot digital for fun the D70 remains king. Remember I only make about 2,000 images a month, usually use a digital camera like a toy and love light weight and fast sync speed. Wake me up when I can try out and buy a D2X in person, otherwise I'm too busy using my D70 today to care.

It's unlikely that anyone will be able to buy one of these for months. If you have photos to make today just get a D70 or D2H and be happy.

PERSONAL NOTE! From all reviews I have ever read (and that is MANY) I would strongly and seriously look into the D70.

Remember- it's not HOW MANY megapixals that is important - it's what the camera does wit them.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote