Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 20, 2004, 12:49 PM   #1

I plan to photograph a series of paintings for my son-in-law. There are about 50 in all and I thought I'd purchase a few floodlights and clip-on reflectors to light paintings at about 45 Deg. I can't depend on being able to do outdoors as it may rain/snow that day. Are there any floodlightsI can purchase in Lowes, etc. to use as a light source? Would halogen lighting be OK?

I've already done a few with my SB600but the flash light is visiblein various areas of the painting, even when I point it to the ceiling, sideways, etc.

Any Feedback appreciated.

observerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2004, 12:55 PM   #2

You have got it right. Come in from both sides at 45degrees. Keep the image and the camera sensor plane aligned. To avoid any distortions.

Yes any lighting will work so long as you set the white balance. Myself I'd go for Compact Fluorescents in a reflector, fairly cheap and no heat.

Searchfor "copy stands" to see how the rather expensive commercially available products set up for flat art copy work. Hereis one I found http://www.marietta.edu/~mcshaffd/macro/copy.html

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote