Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 31, 2002, 10:31 PM   #1
Default D100 Owners please read this

I recently purchased a Minolta D7Hi only to learn that the "Noise" level is much more pronounced than I had anticipated. Don't get me wrong...the D7Hi is a great camera, easy to use, many great features, sharp images...the only thing that really bothers me is the "noise", especially on 8 x 10 prints. I was planning to return the 7Hi and purchase the D100 having heard so many good things about it. What about the Noise level on the D100? I havent heard too much about that on here.

Steve Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2002, 2:05 PM   #2

Being new to digital cameras, having used 35MM most of my life, I am not sure what you mean by ‘Noise Levels’. However I will say this, I recently purchased a D100 and am totally happy with it! Having shot 100’s of pictures so far and printed many, I have no complaints. To answer your question, I a shot a picture in Large/Fine/JPEG format and printed it on glossy Kodak 8x10 paper using a Lexmark Z-43 printer with some minor editing using MS Digital Image Pro 7.0 (great program) and in a frame I tell you it looks better than a picture! I’m no pro photographer, but this camera is the best I have owned!

Good Luck!
ThomasBocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2002, 11:43 PM   #3

For a film guy NOISE = GRAIN.

pete biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2002, 7:19 AM   #4

I have been incredibly pleased at the noise levels of the D100.

At ISO 200, no descernable noise
400, no noise at normal exposures, little noise at long exposures
800, very little noise at normal exposures, some noise at long exposures
1600 OK, you got noise, no worse than the grain of high speed film. I try to keep it at 800 or slower.
Hi (3200) Plenty of noise, if you really need 3200, then you gotta live with it.
scorpio_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 9:59 AM   #5
Default noise

Noise can be reduced or removed via photoshop add-ons on stand alone software that is reasonable. Check the following sites:

I have checked the free demo from neatimage and it works well.

Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote