Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 26, 2004, 4:48 AM   #1

I would buy a Digital SLR Camera, D70 - 300D - or - 20D... the problem is that 20d costs too much than the others... I think also that's the best choice... owever... D70 vs 300D... Performances are better on D70... but what about MOIRE'??? I looked a lot of photos on internet full of this problem... so please tell me if this problem happen sometimes or always when you take a picture with repeated pattern!!!

I'm italian... so excuse my english!!!

Thank you very much!

Ps. What about TOKINA 24-200 for D70??? Is it a good lens?
thesethnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2004, 6:07 AM   #2

Moire is not a problem. I have taken over 2500 pics and never seen it.

Others may have seen it in 1 in 10,000 pics and it only happens when 2 or 3 factors ocur at once and is very very rare
Keen_Amatuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 10:54 AM   #3

I have taken more than 10000 shots with my D70 and i got only a few shots with moire. Here is a sample of a shot (cropped)with moire. That specific skin suit is a little bit problematic.
Attached Images
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 6:01 PM   #4

PLEASE don't let the moire issue stop you from buying a fantastic camera!!

My understanding is that the physics of a digital sensor is that makers have two choices: (1) choose less sharpness and avoid moire, or (2) choose more sharpness and risk moire. For the Nikon D70 they went with more sharpness and, therefore, increase the risk of moire.

I've read lots of posts here and elsewhere that moire problems are very rare. I beleive them. Ironically I hit moire in my first 50 shots. I had just gotten the camera and was taking flash shots in my living room. I got some moire in the odd speaker area pattern, BUT I was not surprised and I KNOW that happens sometimes.

Nikon made the right choice. They gave me the option of reducing the sharpness myself in post-processing - and thus decrease moire - rather than forcing me to have ALL my pics with reduced sharpness.
StatHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 1:52 PM   #5

I have seen moire on my monitor a number of times in pictures taken with my D1X and/or D-100 bodies, but when changing theviewing size in PS (ctrl - +/-) it has changed and even disappeared. I suspected that it was more a problem with what I was seeing on the monitor than what was actually in the photo. When printing the picture on my Canon S-9000, there was no moire visible.

Where I saw moire was when viewing a tight fabric pattern with the 6 MP image displayed at about 25% of size on the screen. When I zoom in, the moire lessens and at 100% zoom, it disappears altogether, even on the screen. Thus it appears to me that it is more a problem with our monitors than with the camera.

Regarding the second portion of your question, I have a Tokina 24-200 which I frequently use on my D-100 as my "Traveling Camera", that is, for those times I just want to take the camera and just one lens and a flash, although I also sometimes throw my Nikon 12-24 in the gadget bag also. Honestly, I can't tell the difference between a picture taken with it and the same picture taken with the same focal length with my Nikon 24-85. On the other hand, at the longer end, it is not quite as sharp nor does it have the great color and contrast of my Nikon 70-200 VR lens. It is one heck of a fine product, however, and serves the purpose for which I bought it admirably. And, as far as I've been able to determine, it is the only decent quality wide range zoom lens (at least on a digicam) made by anybody, and that includes Nikon and Canon. If you want a really useful, decent quality, all-in-one lens, you will not go wrong with the Tokina 12-24.

A number of the pictures on my Website have been taken with that lens, see if you can find them? I doubt it! http://www.photosbycommodore-don.com

There is a short bio and a listing of all of my equipment on the home page.

commodoredon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 2:03 PM   #6

I just realized the type on the last line of the third paragraph of my previous post.

It should read "Tokina 24-200", not 12-24!

Sorry about that!

I should also have mentioned that the only other difference between it and my Nikon lenses is that it is a little slower auto-focusing. Not too terribly slow, just not quite as fast as the Nikons. On the other hand, it is one heck of a lot less money.

I also should have told you that three of my Internet Email buddies have bought the Tokina 24-200 on my recommendation, and all are happy with it. Two are on Nikon D-100's and the other is on a Canon Digital Rebel.

commodoredon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 2:43 PM   #7

The d70 is a great camera, I liked mine so much- i bought the company... Oh, sorry thats the remington shaver commercial. I mean, I liked it so much I bought two.

Sometimes Moiré occurs at the limit of resolution. This meansif one looks at the picture at full size (100%) or larger... at the finest detail, on things that have fine sharp contrasts or repeating patterns (such as print or some fabric). This is normally not something you'd see at print sizes or in general. *If*you are always taking pictures of things that are likely to aggravate fine moiré, then you should shoot RAW and process in Nikon Capture, or PhotoshopCS- this will reduce it down to a degree that can bring tears to ones eyes... basically, as said already in the other post- Nikon decided to increase resolution at the risk of some moiré, It might be easier to understand it if you simply say to yourself: do I want more detail or less detail? RAW will reduce moiré without decreasing the resolution- in fact rez increases.

Moiré that occurs not from fine patterns or print but from repeating patterns of macro things (such as a chain link fence, or as above- a diagonal checkerboard bodysuit) is also easy to control, and usually can be eliminated by moving closer/back or changing sidways position. But sometimes it's gonna happen, and there is nothing that can be done about it. This type of moiré is does not occur very often.

The Tokina 24-200 is a really cool zoom lense, I like it a lot and I carry it around with me mostly for general purpose picture taking. If I want the highest quality image for something specific @ a specific focal lengths, then I use quality primes. But I have recommended this lense before to people and still do. The 24-200 is a compact (aspherical) zoom (as is the Nikon 18-70) and so don't expect it give the best results at telephoto range. For the money- it's quite nice.

Bjane is offline   Reply With Quote