Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 27, 2004, 11:59 AM   #1

I was wondering where's a good place to purchase my D70 and get the $100 rebate. Does anyone know if you can get the rebate if you buy from buydig.com. They technically aren't a nikon dealer, but their sister store, Beach Camera is. So do they qualify for the rebate?

rsway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2004, 12:26 PM   #2

Abe's Of Maine has the best price I can find.
McGlocktapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 3:43 PM   #3

McGlocktapus wrote:
Abe's Of Maine has the best price I can find.
Do check the sellers ratings b4 u buy.

aghauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 4:15 PM   #4

~ Check out thelink belowto Ritz Camera's ebay store. I have been starting research on DSLR's, hoping to buy one next year. I have been looking at the D70 and checked out Ritz Camera's ebay store and saw this price. I bought my brand new G5 from here and would buy another camera again from them in a heart beat. A big bonus here is that they give you an ESP which covers your camera against almost anything. Check it out.~

PhillyPhotographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 4:26 PM   #5

Personally - I would buy it at a store and spend a little more. Reason. You spending big bucks and it's always nice to have a REAL person to talk to.

Also - Here in Madison you can get a $200 rebate. One for cash and one if you purchase a Canon printer.

You can save a couple 100 on ebay but . . . . not much protection (I've never had a problem but also never paid $1000+).

PayPal DOES NOT protect you as they say. Pay ONLY by credit card if you buy online.

Also - remember you need to buy memory so add another $100.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 1:20 PM   #6

Rsway just emailed me about my experience with buydig.com. Both myself and someone I work with ordered D70's from them and so far have had no problem.

As far as the rebate, they claim to be an authorized dealer and while I have applied for the rebate, Nikon says it takes 8 weeks or more to receive it so it is much too soon for me to have gotten it. (For what it's worth, buydig has received very good reviews from customers.) And as Rsway pointed out, the rebate form lists the seller as "Beach Camera."

Two other points: it's either on this board or somewhere else that I've seen postings that warn about Abe's. Take that for what it's worth.

As far as Ritz camera (or Wolf--they appear to be the same company), the young lady at the store here in Chicago said that their online operation is a completely different company. So whatever price you see online will not necessarily be honored at their stores. They also don't necessarily carry the same product. The website has the Digital Rebel in black; the stores don't. (Which certainly makes sense. If they were the same company, they would have to charge sales tax in any state in which they have retail outlets.)
jimmymagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 6:08 PM   #7

If you're looking for the kit, you can get it from b&h photo for 1229. Web site lists 1299 but when I called they actually told me the price had dropped to 1229, now theres a welcome surprise as I was willing to pay the 1299! Free shipping, no tax, as long as you dont live in NY and the 100 rebate brings it down to 1129. Cant beat that price in my opinion. I initally bought the camera body only for 999, rebate brought it down to 899, from b&h but changed my mind and decided to get the kit. Returning the body was easy and no problems.

I see circuity city is selling the kit for 1234 but since I live in NJ I would have had to pay sales tax. This may be another option for you if you dont live in a state where there is a circuit city.

Good luck and be careful with some of the internet scam sites. If you see a deal that looks to good to be true it probably is.
Fred2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 8:24 PM   #8

Iwon the Nikon D 70 this morning on an eBay auction. The auction was for a "factory demo" D 70 with full U.S. warranty for one year, and includes two lenses (28-80mm and 70-300mm). Here is the link for the auction:

My winning bid was $1,085.01, which seemed to be a good price. Of course, after the auction, I found a website that sold the D 70, new,includinga 18-70mm lens, for $699.00! Here is the link for that website:

It seems that on that website, the cameras are cheap but the accessories are overpriced. And maybe that is a place to stay away from. I just thought I'd mention it here since I've spent so many hours on the Internet in the last few days researching all this, and that is by far the lowest price I've seen. Max

[edit: I just found out about a website called resellerratings.com, so I went there and checked out usaphotonation.com, and sure enough, they get really bad ratings, here is the link:

There are 120 reviews of that webstite, and the first ten reviews (on the first page) all say: "very dissatisfied" !!!:shock:]

MaxK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 4:06 PM   #9

I was planning on ordering the D70 body from BuyDig.com today but suddenly I see they no longer sell the body only (atleast for the time being) which leaves me bummed because I can't afford the kit they're selling right now
Dustin_Hart_AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 8:57 PM   #10

I have found thebestthings.com to be excellent. The owner and his wife own it and run it. You can't find better people with whom to do business. We bought two Olympus cameras from them four years ago, and I bought my D70 with the kit from them in July.

Whether or not they carry the camera without the kit, I don't know.
macmom is offline   Reply With Quote