Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 5, 2005, 3:04 PM   #21

"PC you can add RAM and different cards, APPLES or MACs are static - no additions."

lol....typical PC mindframe..

No clue.

TCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 5:22 PM   #22

bern888 wrote:
D70, with 50mm1.4, set on 125 shutter, F5.6.* Custom incandesent WB setting.* iso 1600, with a little noise relief.* I dont see all the problems with adjusting the camera as necessary, just like any other high-end camera, unless you expect a P&S type camera
I'm a DSLR/D70 newbie, but have used-not recently- film SLRs. I hope you don't mind the question, but why would you need to use 1600 ISO on a person not moving really fast? I'm so used to equating low ISO with low grain, low noise in this case, pics.

I suppose I just need to start shooting some pics and see for myself. I guess the answer is "it is the available light stupid", but I just wondered why is seems a lot of people are using high ISO numbers? Why not use flash on this kind of pic?

Thanks for your help.
Jazz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 2:02 AM   #23

Upalms, what kind of shots will you be using your camera for? If you're doing just family shots and don't want to have much operator control (i.e. leave camera in full auto mode), quite frankly the D70 is overkill. There's nothing wrong IMO with wanting to leave camera in full auto mode; however for such a user don't spend the money on a DSLR.
Also, posting some pics with EXIF data will help people here give you an idea what went wrong.
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 9:24 AM   #24

Jazz1 - low light situations where the flash will not be strong enough or not give you the desired results and you don't want shadows.

I shoot 90% of the time at ISO 200 (which is actually more like 160).
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 9:23 PM   #25

Upalms wrote:
I went from a Kodak DC290 that would take awsome, clear pictures even if I was running down the street with it, no blur, no dark & grainy, just clear crisp pics. Then we moved up to the Dimage 7i, frankly it wasn;t bad, but I swear the old Kodak took better pics, now I have the D70, and it takes the worst pics of all three, I give up.
You know, from an owner of a DC290 and then DC295 when it broke under warranty, I can suggest that one of your problems is that you invested in a very capable camera ~ 5 years ago. The camera produces a very rich, lively image and has a decent flash. Very slow ISO, but low noise - at 2.1MP it produced some great 8x10's for me. Hell, for what it's worth I could even play Pacman (Mame/DC290!)

I've only just recently retired mine in favour of my new D70. I can say that I have taken significantly better quality photos with the D70 since taking the time to learn it, and one reason is that the D70 is way, way, way faster - I can power it up, take four shots, and have it back in its case before the Kodak would autofocus. I also really missed the creative control that the Kodak lacks.

Having said all that, I didn't fool myself into thinking the D70 was a direct replacement for a family camera; with the money I saved by timing my purchase around the Christmas price drops, I bought a Canon A75 for my wife as a more or less 1:1 replacement for the Kodak. It takes lively, saturated pictures similar to the Kodak, is quite a bit faster, and if I'm using it I can even play with a few slr-ish settings.

My suggestion is to take the time to learn the nuances of manual photography, and the quality of your compositions will improve with time and patience. But also be true to yourself (and listen to your wife!) and realize that if you want a modern replacement to your old workhorse, there are better suited and significantly less expensive p&s's out there. I wouldn't think anything less of you - afterall, you're the only other person I know that had a DC290!

Take care,

DougHamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 8:09 PM   #26

not to beat this dead horse to death, but from one 'newbie' to another (although I have experience with film slr), like all things techy, it pays to study. Read this site, read Thom Hogan's book, and practice practice practice - oh, and make sure to record your settings and conditions you're in and compare the outcomes.

I had a digital P&S, and hardly used it as I favored film SLR. But the D70 is crazy in the amount of control and beauty you can extract from a shot.

Bear with it.

its_goldie is offline   Reply With Quote