Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 9, 2005, 6:11 PM   #1

I'm still learning my D70, and I have a question. What is the difference between the "portrait" and "landscape" setting under "Optimize Image", and "portrait" and "landscape" settings using the "Digital Vari-Programs" on the Mode Dial??
Bob Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2005, 3:56 AM   #2

The optimise image settings affect the way that the data is processed in camera. These options determine the amount of sharpening, saturation and contrast applied. The ability to select this optimising is diabled when using the portrait and landscape programs so I guess it's applied automatically.

The portrait and landscape settings are shooting settings and cause the camera to set shutter and aperture combinations that are considered better for the type of subject. For example the portrait setting might select f4 at 1/500 to give a shallow depth of field which would blur the background and have only your subject sharp. In the same lighting the landscape setting may select f11 at 1/60 to give more depth of field and have more of the subject in focus from front to back of the frame. Both these settings give the same exposure but a different appearance.

I'd consider using the optimise settings as these can always be changed later if shooting RAW. Although I have found that thesesettings make no difference when processing the RAW files in Photoshop.

I wouldn't use the portrait and landscape settings. I prefer to use the Program setting P and the control dial to shift the program to what I think will best suit the shot. This way I get the benefit of the camera's program but I retain control.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 8:40 AM   #3

The Landscape setting also boosts color and the AF is changed slightly.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote