Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 9, 2005, 8:57 PM   #1

Hi Forum,

I was taking pictures at an engagement party and most turned out good, except for those that were taken when the bride to be and groom to be walked in. The door way had poor lighting. I knew I was in trouble when I looked at the histogram. I did not know what to do, higher my ISO or exposure compensation. Please note my settings below. I attached a picture of the bride to be with her brother. I was able to fix this picture using Nikon CaptureEditing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :-)

Nikon D70
2005/02/06 21:32:41.2
RAW (12-bit) Lossless
Image Size: Large (3008 x 2000)
Lens: 18-70mm F/3.5-4.5 G
Focal Length: 70mm
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
1/60 sec - F/8
Exposure Comp.: +0.7 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 400
Optimize Image: Custom
White Balance: Flash -2
AF Mode: AF-S
Flash Sync Mode: Front Curtain
Auto Flash Mode: Auto Aperture
Auto Flash Comp: 0 EV
Color Mode: Mode II (Adobe RGB)
Tone Comp: User-Defined Custom Curve
Hue Adjustment: 0°
Saturation: Normal
Sharpening: Medium high
Image Comment: whitewedding
Noise Reduction: OFF

Attached Images
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2005, 10:21 PM   #2

It would be good to see the original dark pic as opposed to the one corrected in NC. The F/8 exposure at 1/60 might have been dropped a down maybe even to the wide open 4.5 @ the 70mm that you shot at, just to keep the shutter speed higher than the focal length of the camera. This wouldn't really help with the dark pic. but it will reduce any handheld shake(although the image looks pretty good ).

Another thing I notice is you state "bounce" at the end of the image data. Did you use an sb-800 or sb-600 for this shot? Depending on your proximity to the couple that you took the picture of, and the angle of the flash (vertical vs 45 degrees) in relation to the height of the ceiling (it looks pretty high) you may have lost some of the flash power here, perhaps even bouncing the flash at a point behind them.

If one of the SB units were used then the iso you shot at was probably fine, and the +.7EV was probably also starting to get excessive, maybe decreasing this and then kicking in a little extra flash compensation might have done it.

You might have also tried using spot metering as opposed to the multi pattern, i noticed that the girls shawl, although a little light, seems to be getting close to 18% gray, might have been worth a shot to compare the meter values .

Now i'm not saying that my pics would have been any better, things get missed sometimes in the heat of taking pics :? , but just maybe a few options for the next time. The main thing is that you shot raw, and alot of little things can be corrected in NC.
Dezine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 6:28 PM   #3

As Dezine mentioned, flash compensation would've helped in this situation. Also, f/8 at such low light environment is too dark, and plus, you want just the main subject of the photo to be sharp. I usually shoot f/4 and 1/40s or 1/60s dependeing on the ammount of light available. If that isn't enough I take the ISO up a notch to 500 or even 640 to maintain the exposure I've chosen. Also, for indoor shots I set my SB-800 to AA mode as opposed to TTL, and get maybe 1/3 stop brighter image. To shoot closer subjects I switch back to TTL as the paralax difference in light readings would produce an uncertain exposure in AA (either under or over exposed, but sometimes the AA and TTL agree with each other). If you set your camera on P and use spot metering, you'll be doing a lot of work prior to releasing the shutter. Find out what the optimum exposure is before hand, by getting a reading from a guest for example, and using that exposure in M mode throughout, the flash should put out enough light (to a certain extent and distance) according to the distance data from the lens (unless you misfocussed onto something closer or farther away than intended).
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 6:56 PM   #4

Dear Dezine and Marokero,

Thank you for your responses. Actually, the picture I attached is the dark picture. I had a few that were even darker. When I saw the LCD display I did knock my f stop from F/10 to F/8. But, I will be honest, I thought if I went lower with my f stopthat I would not get sharp pictures due to shallow DOF.

I did use bounce with a SB 800. It was at 45 degrees with the card out for bounce. Was that okay? Now the idea of flash compensation and spot metering were excellent options for which I did not even consider.I will try this next time. Also, I considered swiching to TTL but I did not have time. A very simple thing I could have done was try out a shot by the door where I knew couple would be coming through.:roll: Your suggestions were very helpful. I definetly have a lot to learn. I attached the picture that I corrected in NC Editor.I agree, the use of RAW is great, more freedom to make changes.

Have a good night,

Attached Images
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote