Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 25, 2005, 9:37 PM   #1

Just for fun I dug out the old 500mm mirror lens, fixed aperture F8, and stuck it on the D70 tonight.This lens also has a UV at the mounting end, 39mm, so I took that off too.I tried to add the TC14E but it won't fit! This photo was taken hand heldat ISO800 1/500th and cropped but no post processing.I am not claiming any prizes, but it is interesting to play around with the old lenses which give absolutely no information through the viewfinder. No focusing info, no speed, it is just flying by wire. If any of you have ever done infra red photography you'll know that the focusing is the hardest thing, and similarly I found it so with this old warhorse. Setting to infinity for some reason wasn't the trick, it had to be just short of infinity to get anything like proper focus.
Attached Images
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2005, 8:41 AM   #2

This is much better than I remember being able to do with film and a 500mm mirror lens.

I spent many a full moon night doing in camera double exposures of the moon and buildings with that lens and a 50mm.

Here is a photoshop composite usinga 500mm mirror for the moon I did 15 years ago:
Attached Images
dahacker is offline   Reply With Quote