Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 27, 2005, 11:26 PM   #1

I took the following picture on a bright day, but in the shadow of a building. To the naked eye, it was at least decently lit, considering we're talking outdoors.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should have gotten the right exposure here? I already bumped EV +1.7, and it's still underexposed! I also had the flash on, and i figured that would be plenty of fill, considering I was standing about 2 feet away... I realize the aperture was stopped down fairly far, but shouldn't aperture-priority figure out a reasonable shutter speed to get it well-exposed?

Any and all (scathing or otherwise) comments welcomed.

Attached Images
booyau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2005, 2:29 AM   #2

My take would be that the camera metered from the white signs leaving the dark building in the background underexposed. It ishigh contrast scene.

With flash you should meter for the background and the flash ensures the subject is correctly exposed.

If possible take the pic again but meter off the building (u may need a tripod). Use flash again and see what happens

Keen_Amatuer is offline   Reply With Quote