Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 1, 2005, 1:12 PM   #1

D70 owners, please help me.

I visited my local camera shop and this is the package he is proposing for my budget of $3600 (Canadian funds):

Nikon D70 (body only)
Nikon ML-L3 remote
Lexar 80x or SanDisk Extreme 1GB CF media
Sigma 18-125mm F3.5-5.6 DC lens
Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro lens
Sigma 100-300mm F4.0 EX HSM lens

I already own a Nikon SB-600, which I got dirt cheap from a friend who was strapped for cash.

I'm an advanced user (not expert nor pro) who has played with the Nikon CP990, CP5000, Olympus C-5050, Canon Digital Rebel, Canon S400 and Minolta A200 in the past 3 years. None of these were mine, they were borrowed from friends / relatives since I was still very attached to my Nikon F80 / Nikon 24-120VR lens / Nikon SB-28 speedlight package which I still own and not sure about the whole digital photography thing.

Most of my pics are of family member gatherings (indoor and outdoor) with some sports (indoor and outdoor) and landscape. I would say about 80% of my pics are 4x6 with occasional 8x10s when I get a really nice shot. My printer is a Canon i950 and I only use Canon Photo paper Pro. I also enjoy the odd astrophotography on a nice summer night (I own a Meade telescope and the Nikon adapter).

Could you please have a look at the proposed package above and provide comments?

agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2005, 2:54 PM   #2

I would say the possible weak link in that package might be the 18-125mm lens... I have never used it pr read any reviews on it, but it seems quite a long focal range to cover, and its not particularly fast. Also its not internal focusing, and therefore won't focus quite as quick (HSM on sigma lenses as opposed to AFS on Nikon) and its not an EX version like the other 2 you mention so won't be as well built. (plastic as opposed to metal of other 2 maybe ?)

I own the 105mm version of the sigma macro you mention and it has been great for me as a decent quality lens to start macro photography. Lens is nicely finished, metal body, though AF is external and a bit clunky, but for macro I tend to use manual focus anyway.

The sigma 100-300 f4 HSM seems a pretty good lens too. (Ive had it about a month or so now) AF is nice and quick for sport, and your zoom and focusing movements dont affect the external size of the lens as its all internal. (although its quite big and heavy first place, Ive handheld it for the duration of fottball/hockey matches without problems)

Instead of the 18-125 Sigma, could you push for the 18-70 Nikon instead ? Thats universally accepted as a great performer for the moeny.

As for the price I have no idea being in the UK ! :lol:

(Can post some pics from either lens if you want, but my macro stuff isnt very good!)

jimbojetset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 3:13 PM   #3

Tamaron 28-75 2.8 $300 Macro

Nikon 501.4 $250

Nikon 851.8 $329

ML Remote $18

Extra Battery $30

SC-28 Synch Cord $50

Extreme Disc $69

I comeup with about $2250 US dollars. As you see I have nothing reallywide and nothing long, but maybe this might give you some insight if the Sigma lens could make that much difference in price. Im figuring between the difference of $3600 and $2300 at $1300 I could get a nice longzoom and anotherSB800

I plead the fifth about knowledge of lens, but the 3 lens I have are exceptional lens, and cover what I shoot.
bugshutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 3:25 PM   #4

I think this would be a better setup:

Nikon D70 Kit with 18-70mm

Nikon 50mm 1.8

Sandisk Extreme III 1GB

Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8D VR

All for a total of $2,969.85 USD from B&H Photo

Rebates: $350.00 USD

Net Total $2619.85 USD

Net Total $3,250.03 CAD

This would be a real quality setup. Then buy a $10 univeral remote.

BTW, YOUR list of stuff only adds up to

$ 2,416.95 USD at B&H
Subtract $100 rebate and convert to Canadian:
$2,874.65 CAD
Thats a big difference from the price you were quoted.

dahacker is offline   Reply With Quote