Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 12, 2005, 3:10 PM   #1

Well I finally took the plunge and joined the ranks of the DSLR shooters. I have owned 35mm SLRs for over 20 years. I began using digital cameras several years ago.

I looked at the D70, the Digital Rebel, the Digital Rebel XT, and the *ist DS. My final two candidates were the D70 and Digital Rebel XT. I chose the D70 for two main reasons:

1. The kit lens is superior to the DR XT kit lens.
2. The flash system on the D70 seems more capable

I have previously owned a Minolta Maxxum 5 and I really like the wireless flash. The D70 allows me to use wireless flash without having to have two flashes or a flash controller.

So far I love the camera. I hope to visit here often for information and advice.

rsmithgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2005, 9:40 AM   #2

Hi Rsmithgi,

Congrats to you!! Enjoy the journey. There is a lot to learn, at least there was for me. I have had the camera for almost a year now. I went through the under exposure problems, leaning how to work the SB 800, DOF, RAW, post processing custom curves, etc. I still have more to learn but my pictures have improved greatly and I have not lost the enjoyment of it. I did own the Rebel for 8 days and gladly returned it. The store told me it was all user error. After I got the D70 I realized the camera had a lot more to offer:|, I could grow into it. Also, it was more user friendly. Looking back, as I told the salesman, there was a problem with the shutter and sync with the external light source, I was getting white out. In addition, I would be in program, increase my exposure value and get no response from the camera, not matter what I did my pictures were dark, dark and dark. Never had the problem with the D70.The salesman eventold took a picture of me in the store, which was supposed to be good. It does not compare to the D70. He then threw the term RAW at me, at the time I had no clue, as if that would correct the problem. I now use RAW but that was after I knew that my pictures were good without it. It was their loss. By the way, I went back to buy my D70 and they told me they no longer take back digital cameras. I told them good bye and went to Ritz. Their lost.

Have fun,

Attached Images
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 1:31 PM   #3

I picked up my D70 on Monday and I love it. I had narrowed my choice down to the same two: D70 and Rebel XT.I was in a different situation because time was a factor in my decision- the camera is for work and I had to have it ordered by the end of March. I simply couldn't take a 'chance' on the Rebel XT. It would have been hard to sell the bosses on a camera that was not on the market. I don't regret the decision at all, but if I had one wish, it would be for an 8MP D70. I run the pics at 300 dpi so the extra MP matters.

Ultimately, it's a win-win choice. Both are great cameras (I have no doubt the XT will be well received by critics) and in the hands of a remotely capable photographer will produce solid pics.

I finally decided to stop waiting (I was going to try to wait for the XT) based on the lens. I'll never get another lens for the camera so the better Nikon lense helped. The great reviews for the D70 didn't hurt, either.

Besides, the D70 was my first hunch for a decent camera and that's always a good way to go...
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 10:48 AM   #4

I've got a D70 and I think it's a great camera. People get worked up about the Mp race but it's really not that big a deal. So the Rebel XT has an 8Mp sensor that means the images are 3456 x 2304 pixels whereas my D70 is 'only' 3008 x 2000 pixels. There are not many situations where you'd notice a difference. I believe the Canon is a great camera and so's the Nikon and they've both got roughly the same size sensor so the light gathering is going to be about the same. That's why a D70 produces better pictures than an 8Mp compact that hassmall photosites packed onto a smaller dimension sensor.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 1:10 AM   #5

yah got my D70 too...haha....
Cowardlylion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 6:51 PM   #6

Iam gonna order the D70 this week end too i think...
i was too looking at the 350XT but i once touched it and it was feeling akward cause its too small... Also it feel like its not a real camera... i dont know how to explain, i dont mean its bad but just i dont think i will feel confident shooting peoples with something that small and being taked seriously lol a funny feeling...
Also the XT lack a second wheel, feel light, doesnt have LCD scren on the top, etc etc ....

The D70 seem more like the real thing and so much things can be configured in it i think iam gonna love that, the pleasure of learning a little more each time, trying things, making custom curve and all ^_^

ALSO it sound fast lol (the 350 too) but the D70 got it all...

i never hold it saddly, the store near doesnt have it but, to me the REBEL 300 feel great in hand so i believe the D70 is the same kind of size ( a little bigger).
chromatic is offline   Reply With Quote