Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 14, 2005, 8:42 PM   #1

Hey Quick question.

I am going on vacation and need to save space on my memory cards.

I am shooting on a d70. here are my options. I can either shoot in large, medium and small. I can also change the qualityto fine, medium , or basic

I will never print pics bigger than 8x10

What would you suggest to be the best combination.

Thanks For your help

bassfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2005, 8:59 PM   #2

I personally never use anything else then "fine" (or equivalent). What is about pix size, I think that medium (3.3MP) is barely enough for 8x10 (although plenty for 4x6). My advise would be get some extra memory - in this case you can bastardize your pix late :G. If you planing shoot *TOO* much, X-Drive (or similar device) probably would be an answer.
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 11:22 PM   #3

do you have an iPod by chance?

if so i have found this priceless

lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 4:19 AM   #4

I'd have to say to get the best out of the camera shoot RAW and buy more memory.

However if that is not an option for you then large/fine has got to be the way to go otherwise you are not using the camera to it's full capabilities.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 9:05 AM   #5

At 8x10 max, and if buying more hardware is out of the question, shoot large/normal. There'll be some jpg artifacting visible, but very minimal. But do consider some of the options mentioned above, after all, a vacation could be a once in a lifetime event.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 9:44 AM   #6

Here is the deal - spend some $$ and buy another 512 card. They are not THAT expensive at all.

I never shoot anythign less then Large/Fine and have 3 cards. One thing to remember - cards DO go corrupt. Once one gets 1/2 filled I switch to another one. It's a back-up.

You don't want to spend a vacation worring about how much "film" you have.

Also - everynight go through and delete the photos that have poor histograms. Histograms are a MUST to use. Espicially with outdoor shots.

BTW - here is my trip report to the Virgin Islands
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 1:32 PM   #7

My deal is 2 - 512 cards. And I religously shoot large/fine. Im getting 145 shots per card. If im shooting a wedding, im very leary of shooting the entire wedding on one card. You just never know what might happen.
bugshutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 6:09 AM   #8

FYI - With my D70, I use a 1 gig Lexar x80 that xfers at 12.5 mbps, complementing the cache that xfers at 12 mbps. Lexar is currently the only one with that speed, and can be purchased for $99 on the net. This will still let the D70 shoot RAW at 3 frames per sec, putting every other camera on the market somewhere in the background. Selecting Raw, I still get about 100 pics. I then uploade them to my refurbished laptop that I bought from the Dell site. If you plan on keeping the camera as long as I do, I would suggest buying what you need the first time, instead of the second time, after tossing bucks on the lesser priced products. Buying half a dozen smaller chips to equal the 1 gig chip will cost you more to meet the need in the long run.
Yamahauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 6:23 AM   #9

bassfisherman wrote:
I will never print pics bigger than 8x10

You never know when technology may advance to where you wish that you had taken photos with higher resolution. For all we know, future homes may have virtual walls -- capable of displaying larger size, high resolution photos on integrated flat panel displays.

Or, you may take a shot of a lifetime that others may want to print at larger sizes, etc.

Never is a very long time, and media to store higher resolution images is cheap. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 4:22 AM   #10

Sorry to interrupt. But I have a question regarding image size on the D70. I found out with the sample pictures from this website that D70 only capture image at 10" x 6.6" (3008x2000 resolution). My question is, would it be enough to print 10" x 6.6" image into a lets say, A4 size which is 11" x 8" (landscape mode). I need to print 8R and sometimes 12R out of my pictures.

I currently use Sony V3 and I think I'm ready to upgrade to a dSLR. D70 is really under consideration until I found out about the image size. For comparison, Canon Digital Rebel XT produce 48" x 32" for its 3456x2304 resolution picture. I know the XT has more resolution but why there's so big difference in image size? I also found out that D70 image is at 300dpi while the XT is only at 72dpi. Could that be the solution? Hope someone can help. Thank you.
max211 is offline   Reply With Quote