Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 5, 2005, 8:08 AM   #1

who had tried the SB-600 with D70 in wireless mode?

I want to know If I could balance the power between D70 internal flash and SB-600?
Could I change balance, still using i-TTL, or, may be it is possible in manual mode?

Another questoin: how the wireless works?
SB-600 has a sensor on its side for remote signal.
Does the D70 contrall it by infrared, via small remote window under the mode dial or in some other way?
It this case I expect control signal could be blocked by Lens, if I want to put the SB-600 on the right side...

Dmitry M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2005, 1:23 AM   #2

Let me start by saying that I am new to this stuff. I do own an SB-800 and an SB-600 and I have been able to get them bothe to fire remotely (controlled by the built-in flash) at various positions. It is my understanding that the remote units get their signal from the flash of the master, so you can have them situated all around the room and the bright light of the master flash will trip the others. I have also set the SB-800 up on camera set as the master and been able to place the SB-600 behind my subject and get it to fire. I'm still trying to get a handle on the correct settings though. Automatic does not always produce the results that I want.
dboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 12:45 AM   #3

Thanks, dbroader,

It's good news, that slaves are controlled by master flash light.

It is really great to have both: SB-600 and SB-800.

In my case I'm interested to use SB-600 as a main light sourse for indoor portraits, and for shooting someequipment for presentations and web.

For this I need to change the power of master and slave flashes separately.

What is the most interesting point if the preset balance between master and slave will work with i-TTL?
Old May 11, 2005, 1:50 AM   #4

I tried the SB-600 with my D70 in a store...
Looks like the D70 flash always deliver about 1/4-1/8 of power of the remote SB600. The remote SB-600 is controlled by +/- flash correction from D70...

Still the same question is open: can I control the master (D70) flash power as well?

Another question:

What is the AA mode?
When I go to "commamd" mode menu, it gives me a choice between TTL and AA....

Old May 11, 2005, 4:10 AM   #5

I've done a little bit of this... using the sb600 remotely with the D70 built-in flash to fire it.

I read somewhere that in the command mode you cannot control the output of the built-in flash.... it gives a very weak output, not enough to light the subject (unless your subject is very close ..), but just enough for the SB600 to see it.

In answer to the first question, there has to be a "line-of-site" between the flash on the camera (the command flash) and the sensor on the side otherwise it wont work.

SamShiell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 6:09 AM   #6

Thank you, SamShiell

looks like you are right...

It is a pity if you can't use both flashes in this configuration.
I think I really need a SB-800 to have a true CLS.
Old Aug 6, 2005, 9:17 AM   #7

I have always found the wireless slave flash capabilities of Nikon's i-TTL flash system impossible to understand.

Not only can multiple SB-600's or SB-800's be used as slaves, but they can also be used in multiple groups of slaves.

What's the difference? I never had a really clear idea.

The other day I came across this site: http://imaging-resource.com/EVENTS/P...AS05VIDEO.HTMLand I clicked on the link to watch the .swf video.

I can honestly say that after watching this brief video I now have a clear idea of how this system works,AND, why you mightwant multiple groups of slaves as opposed to just multiple slaves. Very nicely illustrated in this video.

Don't take my word for it, watch this brief video, it is definitely worth the wait as the 10Mb file downloads.

When trying to make up your mind whether to go for the D50 or the D70 take note of the following difference that is not always made clear:

With the D70(s) you can set the camera to commander mode and thereby use it to trigger any number of slave SB-600's or SB-800's.

However you cannot use it to trigger more than one group of slaves. What this implies should be evident from the above video.

Take note that the purchase of the D70(s) plus the less expensive SB-600 immediately gives you access tomost ofthe capabilities of this system.

HOWEVER, if you purchase the D50 it CANNOT be used in commander mode.

The SB-600 also cannot be used in commander mode.

So, in order to gain access to this system after the purchase of the D50 you will need to also purchase the expensive SB-800 to be used as the on-camera commander, AND an SB-600 or SB-800 to be used as slaves.

If this system is important to you, the D50 will turn out to be a more expensive option than the D70(s).
PWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2005, 2:01 AM   #8

This post proves the use of forums. Many thanks for posting the link to the video about using the SB-600 and 800.*
Bennettskaya is offline   Reply With Quote