Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 3, 2003, 7:50 PM   #1
Default D100 Newbie Q#2 - AE-L/AF-L button?

I am not quite sure what the function of the AE-L/AF-L button is.. according to the manual, it says focus on the subject, hold the shutter release button half way down, then push and hold the AE-L/AF-L button, then recompose the shot and shoot.

This seems redundant to me.. since I believe holding the shutter release button down half way will hold the focus and exposure as the shot is recomposed.

Am I missing something?
Pilaar39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2003, 8:37 PM   #2

What if you want to focus lock on something, and then exposure lock on something else, or vice versa. Theses buttons add independence to the shutter... Useful for subject with contrasty background, or locking AE on multiple frames like pano.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 5:36 AM   #3

So, IOW, unless the function of the AE/AF-L button is altered to lock either (but not both) AF or AE in MENU->CONTROLS, then its default function of locking both IS redundant with half-shutter, right? I still don't get it.

It seems to me that the AE/AF-L button would serve better of it were a TOGGLE (press once - it's on, press again - it's off). Am I missing something? What real use is the AE/AF-L button UNLESS we alter its default function to either/both in "CONTROLS" menu? The manual is absolutely turgid on this matter.

Tomm Lorenzin

tommlo is offline   Reply With Quote