Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 18, 2005, 1:16 AM   #1

I had finally decided on buying the D70s and had been waiting a while to make the purchase. Then, out of nowhere, a friend told me he has a D100 (body only) for sale going for $550 to $600. This is going to be my first DSLR and I don't have a collection of lenses yet. I am attracted to the D100 because it is already depreciated somewhat and I won't lose as much in the end. This also means I can put some more money into what counts, the lenses which I hope to keep for the long haul.

So what does everyone think? At that price point should I buy the D100 (no warranty but I can check it out in person) or spend a little more for the D70s? I'm still trying to review feature differences but the one so far that bothers me a little is the write to CF speed. I want to be able to do continuous shots and from what I remember the D70s does them quite well.

What do those with real world experience say? What downfalls to this choice would there be?
mamcinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2005, 3:18 AM   #2

There's a table comparing features of the D70 and the D100 here http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/page20.asp

It may help you decide if either camera has features you would miss.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 7:21 AM   #3

I have the D100 and it does everything in the real world of picture taking I ever need. I shoot weddings, pets, motorcycles, portraits, and anything else people pay me to photograph. I have used a friends D70 and another friends D2X and I really like My D100 much better because it is less complicated without all of the extra crap I don't use anyway. The results are the same with each camera. I use an SB28DX Nikon flash and a 24/120 VR Nikon zoom lens for 95% of my photography. I use the flash on a stroboframe bracket to keep the light well above the lens. I like to shoot aperture perfered and let the camera set the shutter speed. If needed I will shoot shutter perfered.

The D100 is much lighter then the D2X and has a built in flash to use for fill if needed in a pinch.

The D100 has an all metal body, / The D70 has a plastic body. The D70 has way to much crap on the menue that I will never need or ever use.

You can change every setting on the D100 without ever going into a menue. It is a very fast camera to learn and use.

Of course You can still put the D100 on PROGRAM and let the camera do everything for you and still get excellent results.

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 12:10 AM   #4

I've had the D100 on loan from the guy who is selling it and unless I find a problem, I am going for it. I like the camera a lot. Sure, there are features on the D70s that this camera doesn't have but, as you said, the end result will be the same or very similar.

So, I am going to give this camera a try. If I don't like it, well, I am sure someone will be happy to take it off my hands.

So, when is the D200 coming out?! ;-)

Thanks for the replies everyone.

mamcinty is offline   Reply With Quote