Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 30, 2005, 1:43 AM   #1

I have been wanting to replace my much loved and much hated Sony F707 for a while. It is having issues with memory cards (it sometimes cannot see them, and sometimes it corrupts them) and the flash (it occasionally goes off full force and wrecks the shot). I wanted to get a really compact camera, and I also wanted to get something with interchangeable lenses. I also wanted something that could shoot really fast.

I had my eye on a Canon 20D, but a funny thing happened. I checked one out in the store at lunchtime, and went back to see about buying it after work only to find it had sold. As I was about to leave, I asked if I could try the Nikon D70 again. I was not too keen on the D70, it is not super fast (~3 fps), it is only 6MP, and it is a plastic bodied camera. However, it felt so much better in my hands than the Canon 20D (as much as I liked the price after rebate on the Canon digital Rebel XT, I could not stand the way the camera felt in my hands.) The salesman then brough over the new 18-200mm VR lens and put it on the D70. Wow! The VR function was really neat to play with, even with just the viewfinder. Now I am sure that a lens with that much zoom range is going to have some distortion (trival to fix in post processing), some CA, and it is not terribly fast. While it is certainly not a lens that I would use for everything, it would be one that I could get a heck of a lot of use out of.

Anyway, I went back home and started reading up on the D200, and the more I read, the more I wanted one. I went back to the store the next day and got on the waiting list for the D200 kitted with the 18-200mm lens.

It is kind of funny really. I certainly could have ordered a 20D from just about anywhere (the only difficulty was finding a store that had one in stock that I could play with). I think that one of the reasons that I did not was that I am still a little ticked with Canon about the anti-refill chips in their new print cartridges.

cnaumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2006, 9:33 PM   #2

You know I think you are makeing the right decision. I just bought a D50 a few months ago and just love the pictures Im getting out of this camera. I was looking at the canon 20D and didn't like how the menu was set up and getting to certain things on the camera was awkward and confusing. It under exposed a lot of the images I took with it right there in the store and I didn't like the way it felt in my hand all that well ether. The D200 will be my D50 on steroids! With all Ive read about it you are getting one bad as* camera! (Meaning good) Please post a few Pics as soon as you get it. Im dieing to see what it can do and what you think about it.

Happy shooting, Mark
DocX is offline   Reply With Quote