Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 2, 2006, 6:32 PM   #1

Hi,after the last firmware update my d70 does not seem to turn off.I put the switch in the off position and the display stays on and i can take pictures.I an take the battery out etc. no change. I have switched it on and off repeatedly and once in a while it turns off.what gives ?thanks!
runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2006, 7:01 PM   #2

One of the D70 symptoms of the BGLOD (Blinking Green Light Of Death) is the refusal of the system to respond to controls. My system wouldn't turn off today, but also displayed the blinking green flashcard access light.

It would be worth your while to call Nikon Service, as the BGLOD starts out intermittently, and showd different symptoms. Nikon is fixing BGLOD in or out of warranty. The problem affects D70s from the Mar-April 2004 period. I bought mine 4/04

General info released seems to indicate a component ribbon connection issue involving the autofocus module that hangs up the camera bus. Nikon tries for a 5 day turn-around. The general text of the service bulletin:

"It has come to our attention that select electrical components in a limited number of D70 cameras may, in some instances, fail affecting camera performance and/or operability.

While only a limited number of D70 cameras are affected by this advisory, if (1) when a memory card is inserted, your D70's memory card access lamp blinks, locking camera operations and preventing operation, or (2) with no memory card inserted, the camera will not turn on despite the battery indicator showing a fully charged battery, Nikon Inc. will service it free of charge.

To obtain complimentary service for cameras affected by this advisory, please click the link below to download and print the Service Return Form. The Service Return Form provides return instructions.

The Frequently Asked Questions button at the bottom of this page offers more information about this advisory and, should you have more questions, also provides information about how to contact Nikon."

Nikon Knowledgebase answer 13688, Service Advisory for D70, D2H, N55 and Coolpix cameras.

Good luck ($)
TL is offline   Reply With Quote