Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 8, 2003, 6:00 PM   #1
Default working with gray cards

Is it just me or do others have diffulty focusing on a gray card. I have a d100 and while playihg with it today, I found it next to impossible to focus on the card. The only way i could manage was to focus on the edge of the card and then bring the lens over. Is this how its done or are there better ways.
Hiking girl
hiking girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2003, 6:26 PM   #2

see answer at your other posting.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2003, 5:51 PM   #3
Default Auto focus on gray card

The problem you describe could apply to any auto-focus camera. The auto-focus sensor needs to "see" something with some texture in order to focus properly. A gray card has no texture so I would expect it to cause a problem. If you are trying to determine the correct exposure, switch to manual focus and take your reading. It doesn't really matter if the card is in focus or not. It is the light reflecting off of it that is being measured by the metering system. The only problem with auto-focus not working in this case is that the focus mechanism will probably hunt continuously until it can find something to lock on.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2003, 7:32 PM   #4

I focus on infinity, switch to manual focus and shoot the card. I shoot a white card instead of gray, great results
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote