Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 3, 2006, 12:38 PM   #11

To those who are saying that the D-200 is too complicated for this "newbie", I say "balderdash" .

I have taken over 25,000 pictures since late Summer of 2001 when I got my D1X. I later added a D-100 and a year ago got a D2X.

I am legally blind. I have just enough vision in my left eye to frame a picture in the viewfinder. But, I can't read any of the exposure and focus info which is displayed in the bottom of those viewfinder windows. Therefore, 95 % of my photos have been taken with the camera in P (program, aka "auto") mode. These top-of-the-line pro cameras are absolutely superb "Point and Shoot" cameras. In fact, their superb metering makes them much better P&S cameras than the best of the consumer-level P&S cameras. When taking action shots of moving boats I have used shutter priority, setting the shutter to 1/1000 second and forcing the camera to set the aperture, and when photographing some weddings with natural light in the church (no flash allowed) I use shutter priority and force the camera to set its shutter speed. I never shoot at less than ISO 200 and sometimes use 400 and even 800 when I need to get a faster shutter speed than I am getting. But, as I said, most of the time the camera is in P mode.

Should anybody question the quality of my work, I invite you to visit my website:

I've also had numberous of my photos used in nationally distributed boating magazines.

Don Emery

Don_Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 12:50 PM   #12

You took some beautiful pictures and you gave me a little hope. I have a brain tumor and am slowly losing my sight. Hopefully the docs can slow this down.

So you think I should put the D200 in th P mode when I take pictures?

Tonyv49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 1:20 PM   #13

If the shutter speed is too slow, then kick up the ISO (film speed equiv) to a higher setting. Outdoors. this is rarely ever a problem, and should only be a problem indoors in very low light without flash.

Those in the church wedding pictures were taken with the D1X on a tripod with the 70-200 lens on it, aperture priority at f2.8 (wide open) and forced the camera to set the shutter speed. Some are as slow as 1/4 second. Most of the ISO's were at 400, but I did kick it up to 800 at times. You can check the EXIF on the pictures on my Web site by clicking on exif underneath the right side of the picture on the right of the screen. Unfortunately, the ISO setting is not displayed.

To further enforce my contention of just how good these pro cameras are when being used as a P&S, I recently gave me D100, SB-80DX flash and a new Tamron 18-200 mm f3.5-6.3 lens to my 10 year old granddaughter. I handed it to her at the family annual christmas gift exchange and gave her a few "quicky lessons" and turned her loose with it. I told her that she was to replace me as the photographer. Well, that evening and the following day, she took 240 pictures, the vast majority of which were really quite good. I was testing to find out if her smaller hands could handle such a larger, heavier camera. About 2 weeks later, after checking with her parents to make sure that it was OK with them, I gave her the complete outfit. I don't need 3 Nikon bodies <grin>! By the way, I owned a Leica before graduating from high school well over 50 years ago. I readily admit, however, that you can do things in the digital darkroom that you couldn't even dream about in the chemical darkroom from which I came!

Don_Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 2:13 PM   #14

Don_Emery wrote:
To those who are saying that the D-200 is too complicated for this "newbie", I say "balderdash" .
I assume this is directed towards me:roll:. I still stand by my contention that this is more camera than the OP needs. Unless you have money to burn, I think it's complete overkill to spend $1600 plus on a camera and use it as a point and shoot. I agree the metering is going to be better, but if you're not going to use 90% of the features of a camera, then why purchase it. The average "newbie" or amateur is better suited spending extra money on quality lenses, than buying a pro level body as they are not going to use the extra controls and features.

Comparing your level of experience to the poster is like comparing night and day. You are a seasoned photographer who obviously understands all the ins and outs of a camera...the basic exposure modes and how ISO, shutter speed and aperature affect exposure. The poster is not sure of any of this and also is struggling through basic camera operation. The added dials, controls and menus of the D200 are making learning more difficult than it needs to be.

Is it impossible to absorb all the info and learn how to use the camera?? No, of course it isn't. I am still willing to bet the average person will not achieve better images by buying a pro level camera and using it in P&S mode...images from a consumer level DSLR used in the same mode will be comparable.

I'm confident the poster will be able to get things sorted out, and learn how to use this camera effectively. He obviously has the desire and willingness to learn and ask questions. Unfortunately, his salesperson made his learning experience a little more difficult by trading him up to more camera than he needed.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote