Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 3, 2006, 6:55 AM   #1

Just want to hear what is the common opinion on sharpening during raw processing. I mainly shoot raw with D50. Some raw converters like Nikon Capture offer unsharp masking on the raw file, i.e. before converting it. Alternatively the file can be saved as 16 bit/channel TIFF without any sharpening and sharpened on PS or PSP.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"For images at high ISO when noise can become a problem I make edge masks in PaintShop to sharpen only the edges, but for ISO200 it doesn't seem to matter, i.e. the whole image can be sharpened without getting too much noise. What do you guys recommend.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2006, 12:11 PM   #2

I sharpen after conversion as the sharpening you apply differs depending on the final size of the image. I apply different degrees of sharpening when printing and when preparing for screen display for example.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 12:21 PM   #3

I do not sharpen in the camera at all. I do my sharpening with Nik sharpener after everything else is finished in photoshop. It is always the very last thing I do before printing.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 5:48 PM   #4

I think the genral consensis is that sharpening should be the last step of the editing process. So you would not want to do it durring Raw conversion.
miatapaul is offline   Reply With Quote