Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 14, 2006, 12:44 PM   #1

I'm graduating from a simple PS camera Pentax WR33. Recently my wife started making jewelries and I started borrowing a friend's Digital Rebel and bought a light kit to take pictures, and the result are spectacular compare to the Pentax. So this got me thinking I need to get my own DSLR.

Other than taking jewelry shots, I also want to take outdoor action shots (whitewater kayaking). My budget is around $1000 for a camera and lense for now, I already have a big SD card that I can use.

At first not knowing anything about lenses I though the D50 with the 28-80 kit at $560 is a great deal. Then I read about the crop factor and realized it'll make the lense effective of 42-150, which means less angle at close up. Next up is the 15-55mm kit for $600. Then I'm reading reviews that people are saying it's not a good all around lense and the 18-70 that's packaged with the D70s is much better. I then found the D50 with 15-55 and 55-200 kit that goes for $820. I talk to my friend (the one with Digital Rebel and owned several cannon SLR before) and he said most of the time I won't be carrying two lenses so I should find one good all around, at least 18-70 or 18-100, and also don't get one with too big of a range because they'll be slow focusing and I'll end up losing the shots.

So more researching and now I come with two lense options:

Nikon Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Autofocus Lens for Digital Cameras (I think this is the the lense that goes with D70s)

Sigma 18-125mm f/3.5-5.6 DC Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

Sigma has more zoom capability (am I right on this one?). However, I can't tell which one would be faster focusing and produce better images for what I do. Both lense would fit my budget.

Also if anyone has any other suggestions it would be great.

Attached is a piece that I took this past weekend with my friend's DSLR. Compliments or criticisms are both welcome.

Attached Images
EnzoRaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2006, 5:28 PM   #2

I just got a D50 today @ Comp USA, with the 18-55 for $599.*You may want to check it out.
Dlatu1983 is offline   Reply With Quote