Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 15, 2006, 7:45 PM   #1

I havea D100, D70, D2H and the one thing that irritates me is the "preset" mode for white balance. Specifically, you can aim the camera at a light source, depress the "PRE" white balance button and the camera will use the ambient color temperature. I have to upload the images to a computer to find out what the PRE WB was measured. Why can't they display the value on one of the screens ?? Two things are critical to a digital image - illumination and color temperature but color temperature is not displayed.

Does the D200 or the D2x actually display the color temperature instead of just the storage number D0, D1, etc.

Why would I need the color temperature? Because I also carry the F5 and I'd like to know what color correction filter to use.

If Nikon doesn't display the value, does another brand like Canon, Pentax, or Olympus?
NewLightPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2006, 8:22 PM   #2

White balance is more complex than the temperature of the lighting alone.

Even though Nikon does store a temperature in plain text within some metadata that may be visible to some editors, RGB multipliers are passed for controlling white balance when converting from raw (if you want to use the "as shot" white balance). So, it's a bit more complex than a color temperature number alone.

I spent some time examing the WB information Nikon uses after they decided to start encrypting this information in metadata in raw files from the D2X, D2HS and D50 models to see if there was anything so unique that they'd need to hide it from competitors. My conclusion was no.

I haven't paid any attention to any display of this information when reviewing images you have takenwith a camera.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote