Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 22, 2006, 2:33 PM   #11

The FZ5 is still a cracking camera - don't get me wrong. I wouldn't say a bad word about it in good daylight.

It's not an SLR though.
StevenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 8:23 AM   #12

I thought I'd add another experience for the benefit of any others on the fence. Coming from an FZ30. Here are a few of the things you are going to love abouit the D50:

1. ISO performance- Simply no contest. This alone, IMO, is worth the price of admission. With a fast lens, you'll be able to almost stop hummingbird wings with the extra shutter speed the higher ISO will buy you. After a lot of comparison, my conclusion is that ISO 1600 on the D50 is roughly equivalent in noise level to ISO 80 on the FZ30 in similar shooting conditions.

2. Optical viewfinder. Which translates to a useable burst mode for moving objects.

3. Shot to shot time. While the FZ is very snappy as point & shoot goes, the D50 is nearly instantaneous. Its a beautiful thing.

Here's what you'll give up:

1. OIS. Image stabilization for the Nikon is available, but very pricy. The faster shutter speeds will help, but OIS is still a nice thing.

2. Size. The FZ30 is not tiny. However, fast, image stabilized lenses for the Nikon are huge and heavy. Please note, however that you can buy a Sigma 70-300 APO, which is slow, light, compact, & $200, and get really good pictures in 80% of normal shooting conditions. 450mm (35mm equiv.) to boot. Which brings me to...

3. Interchangeable lenses. This is a mixed blessing. While the FZ is not a wide angle lens, 35-420mm does not exist in any Nikon mount lens that I could find. So you will be regularly changing betweeen at least two lenses. Again, not a bad thing, but occasionally inconvenient.

In summary, if your budget is $500, this is a no brainer. The FZ is a brilliant camera with two weaknesses, the EVF, & ISO performance. Other than that, I love it.
The D50, well, I'll simply say "Welcome to the next level..."

forestcat44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:10 AM   #13

I used to have a FZ5 and now own a D50

The only bad thing I can say is "Lens Lust"

I now have 4 lenses and I just cant stop buying them!!
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 1:49 PM   #14

Top end compacts generally have speedy autofocus but I have not had one yet that compares to the rip fast auto focus of the D50 - if the snap something flying, invariably you will get a very sharp result.

My Panasoc Fz5 was fast but i still had a high rate of misses with flying bird shots, with my D50, the results are consistently good.
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 7:27 PM   #15

tommysdad i just got mine about a week ago,,,very impressed with it so far,i got the kit with the 18-55 lense as that lense works well for a wide angle normal lense for me,i have a Sigma 70-200 EX HSM and a 1.4 tele converter coming next week too...should make for interesting wildlife shots...

brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 2:44 PM   #16

Congrats Brianhare,enjoy the D50.I hope you are having as much fun as I am.Could do with some better weather and a longer lens at the moment though:G

tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 3:55 PM   #17

Just bought my D50 yesterday(Friday) My first DSLR, upgraded from the Fuji S9500. Still learning it at present.

Mr.Jingles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 11:50 PM   #18

Another happy owner of a new D50 here. I bought mine last week (from Cameta Auctions on eBay), but didn't get it until yesterday. I also have the 18-55 kit lens and the 70-300 tele. I also bought the 50mm f1.8.

I took it out today for some landscape shooting and I'm loving it! This is a huge step from my 2MP Fuji 2800 Zoom with no settings for anything other than WB. My face was full of smile today while taking it for a test drive, even when I had the camera on the tripod and reading the manual :G

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 9:40 AM   #19

I too just joined the D50 group. I bought the 28-80 and the 70-300 zoom kit, looking back I would have purchased the 18-70 or 18-55 lens instead. I've already found a couple of shots that the 28-80 was too much lens. I found a good book ("Nikon D50 Digital Field Guide" by David D. Busch) that was very informative and a lot easier to understand than the manual. good shooting greg
flhtcui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 10:15 AM   #20

Nice little group we got here,my 50mm 1.8 Darrived on friday (get one if you haven`t already) ,just found aused Nikon70-210 D for a good price.Hopefully it will be arriving soon.

Good to see everybodys happy!!!

I wonder who will be the first to report dust on the sensor!!!:-)
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote