Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 27, 2006, 12:05 PM   #1

I've been using the Nikon D50 for 1 year now and have been extremely satisfied with the JPEGs (I don't shoot RAW / NEF). I print my 4x6" pics on a Canon CP710 dye-sub printer and my 8x10" pics on a Canon iP5200 inkjet printer.

I'm now considering upgrading my Nikon D50 to the new Nikon D200. Presently, my gear consists of:
Nikon 18-70mm lens (purchased with D50 body)
Nikon 80-400mm lens
Nikon 18-200mm lens
Nikon 50mm F1.8 lens
Tokina 12-24mm lens
Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Since I don't shoot RAW / NEF, I was wondering how good are the JPEGs from the Nikon D200? How do they compare to the Nikon D50?

Also, is the Nikon D200 "friendly" enough for an amateur photographer like myself?

agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2006, 8:05 AM   #2

You must have gotten your camera really early, i thought that D50 didn't hit the shelves until June :roll:

D200 is a semi-pro camera and it has more capability than the D50 but i doubt the differences can be seen in small prints.
Well if you need the bigger viewfinder, better AF, bigger image buffer and weather resistance then the D200 is the way to go.

I am going to stick to my D50 for a bit longer and purchase some quality lenses,
then in the future i can buy D200 or D2x or what ever is best buy in the time being...

Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 4:51 PM   #3

I agree with Shred. With your assortmant of lenses, aside from the megapixel bump which will allow more cropping, I would hold off. Is there anything the D50 is preventing you from doing that you could accomplish with the D200??
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 5:29 PM   #4

I do not think the D200 will improve your pictures. The two cameras are of the same age there are no differences in technologies used. You pay for additional gadgeds in the D200. Using RAW files will improve your pictures for sure.:idea:

D50 has all that is necessary for making top notch pictures. get a D200 if you want to play with it and you have enough money for such expensive toy.

See more opinionshere: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=17239257
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 6:50 PM   #5

Read this: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote